Logic Pro (X) Coming Back From REAPER?

nautonnier

Logician
Hello, I haven't used Logic since v9 (though it was my very first DAW back when it was owned by eMagic :)). I tried out REAPER for the last big project but now I'm wondering if they fixed some issue that bothered my in Logic:

1) Muting Multitimbral Tracks in Arrange:
V9 was my first experience in Logic where it handled a true multi-out plugin such as Kontakt. However, the way I was using it, made muting tracks funky. I would instantiate an instance of Kontakt and then was able to add a track that was wired up to Kontakt but simply using the next MIDI channel. The funky part about this is if I had, say, 4 tracks pointed to my Kontakt instance and I muted any one of these (in the Arrange window), ALL Kontakt tracks would be muted. Nowadays I have a Virus TI and I loaded it up in v9 and it looks like it makes a new Instrument in the Environment and if I have multiple tracks and mute one of them it behaves as expected with only that track being muted. Is there a way to set this up for Kontakt as well?

2) Muted Hardware MIDI Tracks:
I have several outboard synths and I could set up a track to send MIDI events including parameter automation. The way I work though is I will record a part/patch w/ automation, save that MIDI data for later tweaking and then create a new track for a new part/patch. The problem I always had was that the previous part's automation would continue to be sent to the synth even if I had that track muted. Is there a way around this?

3) Full OSC Support:
In REAPER I fell in love with TouchOSC as you could really do just about anything. Logic had a very cool template for TouchOSC but the big bummer was you couldn't edit any existing messages or wire up your own. I know that Logic X now has its own remote control software but I have a killer template I made (based on the original Logic one) that I would like to continue to use. Also, and completely parenthetical, I hate a proprietary solution when an awesome, open-source standard is already out there. So how is support in vX?

I know this was a long post and if you're reading this, thank you for hanging in there! :)

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions you might have.

nautonnier

Questions 1-2 are things I don't really use so I'll leave to someone else! As for 3, I don't believe OSC is supported I'm afraid, although I have had (prior to using the logic app) good success using touch OSC alongside osculator (although I haven't looked back since using logic remote.) I have to say apple have done a good job with their remote app, my particular favs being the hugely customisable shortcuts page and the transport control concept (after you figure out how it works!) But it all comes down to how you use it and what your requirements are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
1) Muting Multitimbral Tracks in Arrange:
V9 was my first experience in Logic where it handled a true multi-out plugin such as Kontakt. However, the way I was using it, made muting tracks funky. I would instantiate an instance of Kontakt and then was able to add a track that was wired up to Kontakt but simply using the next MIDI channel. The funky part about this is if I had, say, 4 tracks pointed to my Kontakt instance and I muted any one of these (in the Arrange window), ALL Kontakt tracks would be muted. Nowadays I have a Virus TI and I loaded it up in v9 and it looks like it makes a new Instrument in the Environment and if I have multiple tracks and mute one of them it behaves as expected with only that track being muted. Is there a way to set this up for Kontakt as well?

There is a new "power" button in Logic Pro X which allows just thins; to "turn off" individual tracks routed to a multi timbral software instrument.

Upvote 0
Yes, and there is even an available key command to toggle on/off. Unfortunately, it only does one track at a time, even if you select several.

Upvote 0
I don't believe OSC is supported I'm afraid

I don't think that's exactly right. OSC is supported on at least an internal level otherwise the Logic template that ships with TouchOSC wouldn't work. It's just you can't edit this template or any routings within Logic v9. Apparently that remains in X. Bummer. I don't understand why a company would devote that much effort to have OSC and then not continue on that path but do a 180 and create a proprietary system. Maybe Logic Remote uses OSC under the covers.

I don't have X, but can't you group the tracks and set Mute to work at the group level?

You can mute but that produces an undesirable side effect where the entire multitimbral instrument is muted. Setting up a group wouldn't alleviate that.

Eli: Great to know about the Power button. Jay: Nice to know that there's a key command for it. Thank you both.

So the VirusTI seems to use an Environment object of some sort and you can mute individual tracks without disturbing the entire instrument. Couldn't one do that with a multitimbral instrument as well and thereby getting around the mute problem?

Upvote 0
I don't have X, but can't you group the tracks and set Mute to work at the group level?

You can mute but that produces an undesirable side effect where the entire multitimbral instrument is muted. Setting up a group wouldn't alleviate that.
Wow! Really! I always use multiple instances instead of multitimbral VIs, so I've never notice this. I just tried it with EXS 24 and got the same thing.

So is the mute tool on the regions the only want to selectively silence individual tracks going to a VI? Does this happen with all VIs? How do those with large orchestral VIs, and loads of regions on the tracks, deal with this in their workflow?

Upvote 0
Logic has been like this for as long as I've been using it. But apparently, according to Eli, there is now a "Power" button which handles this, but, according to Jay, it can't work on multiple tracks at a time. So, mostly fixed?

Your question mirrors mine and why I brought up how the VirusTI instrument gets away with this. I would very much like a Virus + Logic master to chime in here.

Upvote 0
The Power button (and there is a key command for it; Option M by default) works perfectly for what you are describing. No, it can't be invoked on multiple tracks at the same time by key command; but it can be invoked on multiple selected tracks at the same time with a single mouse click by clicking on any one of the selected track's power buttons.

Attachments

• Multipel power buttons.jpg
    Multipel power buttons.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
Back