Logic Pro 9 Comping multitrack drums...your workflow?

spicemix

Logician
What is your preferred workflow for comping multiple takes of multitrack drums? Quickswipe comping with Logic 9 is clearly designed for single track work, and is lovely for e.g. vocal comping. But for multitrack, grouping doesn't appear to help. What is the best way to deal with multitrack comping in Logic 9?

I have been able to quickswipe comp multitracked drums both in Logic 8 and 9. Perhaps you could give us some step-by-step details as to how you went about attempting this, just to see if you went wrong somewhere? AFAIK, the ability to comp multitracked audio is an intended feature.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Agreed quickswipe is great for multitracking and grouping works very well here. I know people who actually only use Logic because of this feature and I use it everyday myself. The new phaselock feature is especially created for multitrack editing (it doesn't make much sense phaselocking something to itself) so to say that quckswipe clearly is made for single track work is definitely wrong.

Upvote 0
Agreed quickswipe is great for multitracking and grouping works very well here. I know people who actually only use Logic because of this feature and I use it everyday myself. The new phaselock feature is especially created for multitrack editing (it doesn't make much sense phaselocking something to itself) so to say that quckswipe clearly is made for single track work is definitely wrong.
The original poster may not be aware that he should Group the Drums. In the Group Settings dialog, he should check "Edit" group, as well as "Phase-Lock Audio". After that, QS comping one of the take folders will create the comp across all grouped tracks. Elegant!

Upvote 0
Ditto that it works seamlessly and elegantly here as well. As others have mentioned, just make sure you group the tracks. And enable phase lock editing in case you want to flex anything later on. And just quick swipe across one of the tracks and all in the group will follow suit.

Upvote 0
And when phaselocking the locked tracks has to start at the same place but normally that's not a problem since drumkits are mostly recorded in the same take. In case it's not you have to do a bounce in place with the tracks you want to phase lock. If you want to take it further and flex them, remember to start at a full bar number and not something like 5/4/3/196. This will confuse the quantize function.

Upvote 0
It took me a minute to get it to work - I have to toggle "edit" off in group properties when I'm selecting tracks to make a take folder (otherwise it selects tracks from other folders already in the group), then toggle it back on for swiping. Once everything's set up it works like a charm.

Upvote 0
Back