Composition inventory

peterlemer

Logician
after many years writing, I have a disparate collection of finished, unfinished and tiny sketches in a sane but complex file structure.

I want to assemble a catalog of all of these, with each file an associated audio snippet.

The best I've found so far:

1. Evernote, where i can embed each soundfile in a note and play it.
2. Apple Numbers ( Mac spreadsheet), which allows me to organise my files by finder folder, see the entire collection in one display, and sort.

The problem with 1. is that I can't see a full list with playable audio
The problem with 2, is that I can't embed audio within a cell.

What I need is a combination of both.
A list, parsed as to Finder structure, with each entry having a playable link.

Any ideas?

pete

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
You may have a look at OmniOutliner.
It is from Omni Group, who also make the better known OmniGraffle.

Interactive hierarchical structure is the whole purpose of the program. You can shift every item between levels at any time with simple key commands and the display follows the given style sheet (which you can also make yourself with little effort).

Equipment_outliner.png

In the screenshot above I just used 'Attach File' with a right-click, selected a WAV file on disk and instantly got it displayed in 'Player' mode. So far I understand these files are embedded. I don't know what capacity such a document has if you store a lot of snippets or bigger audio files. You may ask the manufacturer. You can also make a link to an audio file and use right-click to 'Reveal in Finder' or open it in the program of your choice. In your case I can imagine that a combination of short snippets and links to larger files might be ideal.

peterlemer

Logician
Working at the demo now. Can;t see how to create new columsn as you have, ie. Brand/Description

Perhaps the 'essential' demo can't do that?

pete

peterlemer

Logician
Thanks Peter, OMNI were a tad slow in support so I googled alternatives and found Notion, which looks really interesting, so I'm exploring that now.

peterlemer

Logician
Which Notion do you mean?
I find only an online organizer, is it that one?
Notion has a great GUI and I like the philosophy but sadly they can't implement more than 5 columns, although they can embed an audio player in a block. I'm going back to OMNIOutliner

pete

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going back to OMNIOutliner
...and your compositions will stay under your authority on your hard drive instead of rolling around on someone's servers somewhere on the planet. OmniOutliner isn't bad. It's old and doesn't look modern, updates are few and doesn't seem like it has many features, but it's solid and works and works and works...