Logic Pro (X) constant plugin scanning on 10.5 - catalina

nonlogic

Logician
Hello. I’m on Logic 10.5.1 and OS X Catalina. It seems like recently every time I launch Logic it tries to re-validate all of my invalid plugins (expired demos, old unsigned plugins, etc). It gives me the choice “move to trash” for some damaged plugins but when I click “move to trash” it says that it was not able to move that plugin to the trash. Etc etc. And again I get warning dialogs for all my expired demos every time I launch Logic which has never happened in the past and does not happen on Catalina with any of my other DAWs. Anyone seeing this?

lots of the expired demos show up as “successfully validated” which seems like a glitch? and some of the ones which i’m told are “damaged” show up in the au manager without the “use” box checked but it still tries to load them. seems like something is acting screwy. idk

Upvote 0
I expect that Apple has tightened up some of the validation processes for Audio Units with Logic 10.5.0, 10.5.1 and Catalina. As it seems that in your case some older/expired AUs are causing problems, the prudent thing to do would be to remove them from your system. You will probably need to deal with each one at a time. First of all, make sure that they are deleted from library/audio/plug-ins/components, then check that they are no longer showing in logics AU manager.

HTH, kind regards

MArk

Upvote 0
Point taken but there’s something glitchy about the process. Eg why is it rescanning all of my expired Waves demos and such every launch. I’m not sure if one “malware” flag causes the whole lot to be rescanned or what but it’s just a bit odd and doesn’t exactly seem like intended behavior.

Upvote 0
After I trash the offending components, reset and rescan all plugins, the relaunch Logic it still gives me expired plugin warnings for Seventh Heaven, Waves, Sound Radix, and Flux but not for SoundToys, PSP, and a few others. So it remembers some but not all of my failed plugins. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing similar behavior.

Upvote 0
FWIW, I have current versions of Waves (pretty much evverything from them in version 11 with current WUP), Sound Radix, Soundtoys, PSP up and running on two macs here, with Logic Pro X 10.5.1 and Mojave 10.14.6. I have also tested using Catalina. Pretty much everything is working. Perhaps the issueyou are experiencing relates to demos which were installed, not used, expired, then raising the question about how much effort the AU developer puts into ensuring that when someone decides not to purchase his product, it can be fully and cleanly removed from a system.

Perhaps you should contact those developers whose plugins are being persistent and see what they say. As I mentioned, it may be the case that Apple have made some changes regarding AU behaviour - they do announce from time to time when they release new SDKs that changes are on the way. Given that MacOS updates on an annual basis, it wouldn't be surprising if older software "remnants" do cause some issues. Sorry not to be able to suggest an easy solution!

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Back