Logic Pro 8 Contents of Library/Application Support/Logic/

Lenny

Logician
I've recently installed Logic 8 (upgrade from v7) on a new-ish Macbook Pro (Logic 7 is on my old G4 Powerbook, I didn't install v7 on the MBP).

Comparing the contents of /Library/Application Support/Logic/ on the two machines shows that there are 100s of files (.exs, .pst, .cst) and many folders of samples on the G4 (Logic 7) that aren't present on the MBP (Logic 8). There were also a few missing items in .../Garageband, but I've resolved those differences manually.

I was told that the upgrade version of Logic 8 contained everything, but it doesn't look that way here.

Is there a reference document listing the entire contents of /Library/Application Support/Logic/ (for Logic 8) ?
Failing that, could someone with an unmodified copy of Logic 8 please email me a file list of this folder's contents ? This list can be produced easily using BBEdit or TextWrangler, just drag the folder into an open blank document window. The result is a biggish file, ~340kB for my MBP (which I reckon to be incomplete).

tia

Lenny.

Hi Lenny,

You said you have a newish Mac. Am I right in assuming you have at least iLife 08? If you do then do the following. Open a new project in Garageband. Click the piano so the software instrument options appear. Choose drums. You will be given a choice of kits but the "Pop" kit will be greyed out. Click on the arrow to the right of this. Garageband will ask you if you wish to download additional (actually missing) content. Say yes. In about 20 minutes all of the missing content from Logic 8 will be available to you because its all garageband content that was erased by a bug in the L8 installation process. This is a known issue. I haven't gone for 9 yet so I don't know if they've resolved this issue on the 9 installation disks. Maybe some one else knows.

Greg

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response Greg. Wish I'd known that tip a week ago. As I said, I've manually copied the missing GB content from Logic7/G4 to Logic8/MBP. It took somewhat longer than 20 minutes. :-/

However its the mass of Logic related content (lots of ES1/ES2/Sculpture presets, Ultrabeat Kits, etc) that I'm now interested in copying over from L7 to L8.

Is there a similar 'fetch missing content' function within Logic 8 ?

Although laborious, the GB content wasn't difficult as the folder structures are the same, however the presets folders for a number of Logic's synths has changed between L7 and L8. Hence why I'd like to see a file list of how it should be.

Please, can anyone send me a file list of the contents of /Library/Application Support/Logic/ ?

Lenny.

Upvote 0
Are you talking about your own synth creations or the actual presets that came with Logic 7? The reason I ask is that, during the installation process, there was, I believe, an option for choosing to install the Logic 7 material. I know this because, at the time, I didn't choose it and I wound up with only the new presets that had been created for Logic 8. I had to go back and install the Logic 7 material from the L8 install disks. The way to check this is to go to the various synth menus and check to see if there is a "legacy" folder. If there isn't then you didn't choose to install that material. It been a a while since I did this but I believe this is an easy fix. What I don't remember is which disk has the legacy material. It is there though and you can install it after the fact.

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm referring to the supplied/factory content. I did the install around new year, and tbh I can't recall if I chose to install the legacy content. I would have thought so, but it is beginning to seem otherwise.

I don't have any folders in PlugIn Settings with Legacy in its name, though I do have a folder '12 Legacy Instruments' in Sampler Instruments (though it only contains 2 sax and 5 drum kit exs files - do you have the same, or more).

So, can I just run the installer from DVD1 and select just the Logic 7 Legacy content, and nothing else ?

Upvote 0
Greg, it was indeed simple. All the legacy content is on DVD1, and it looks like I now have all that was missing - thanks a lot for your help.

Interestingly, the installer recognised what I already had installed, ie it showed '0 bytes' (to be installed) for all items except 'Logic Pro 7 Legacy Content' and 'Hardware Support'. I don't need the hardware support bits, though there was 946 MB of legacy content !

I guess, at the time of the original install, I had interpreted 'legacy' as 'redundant'. Ie that this content was still present but perhaps renamed or somesuch in Logic 8, and that the legacy versions were only needed if one had Logic 7 projects that used these items (so as to avoid 'missing files' errors).

There's a lot of useful stuff in there. Given that the general trend is for content libraries to ever increase in size, I don't understand why Apple have designated it 'legacy', particularly as it was supplied with Logic 8 anyway. Why not incorporate it into Logic 8 as they did with the rest of the Logic 7 content (not all Logic 8 content was new to that version). Do you know if this legacy content is present in Logic 9 ?

Anyway, thanks again.

Lenny.

Upvote 0
Hi Lenny,

I haven't made the move to Logic 9 yet for a couple of reasons. First experience has taught me that new releases need a few months to mature. Jumping right in often has the unintended effect of halting the creative flow while one deals with various problems related to the not-quite-finished new program. Secondly as with Logic 8, Logic 9 has been released just a few months before a major upgrade in the Mac OS. Snow Leopard is supposed to make an appearance early this fall. When Leopard arrived a couple of years ago there were some very annoying compatibility issues between it and Logic 8. Many Logic users reverted to Tiger because of this. So I'm going to wait for Snow Leopard to make its appearance, watch all the fun, and then probably upgrade in the new year. From what I've read Logic 9 seems more like Logic 8.03 than a major upgrade. There are no new instruments and only the addition of the Voices jam pack in terms of content. True there are some major developments on the audio editing side of things but 90% of what I do is in the midi realm so this is less of a deal for me than it would be for some others in this forum. Others will probably need to speak to your final question but Logic 9 is apparently much less of a jump from 8 than 8 was from 7. I suspect that in installation process will probably leave your current content intact but I would watch for that "Legacy" content check box during the install process.

Greg

Upvote 0
My understanding is that both Logic 9 and Snow Leopard focus heavily on improvements in multi-core support. That's the main attraction from my pov, though I'm not sure if it's enough to warrant the upgrade cost (personally).

Though, if Apple were to release a quad-core (i7 based) laptop ... :)

Lenny.

Upvote 0
I have an iMac 2.8 24" with 4 gigs of ram. I didn't go the laptop route because I'm not a performing musician and don't need the portability. This machine is also connected by ethernet to an older intel iMac so I can use the node function if I need it. But the multicore support material in 9 is the main reason I will likely upgrade. It really annoys me when Logic 8 piles all the processing onto one core and overloads it. The thing is you never know when it will happen. I can work on something all day with the cpu meters ballancing everything around 1/3, save it and the next time I open the project it starts throwing everything into the red on a single core. I've gotten into the habit of freezing every track I'm not working on so I don't get the cpu peaks. There are a few tricks I've learned, like creating a single audio track with nothing on it and selecting that track before playback. I don't know why this tends to ballance the cpu use but it does, most of the time anyway. So, as I said, I'm likely to upgrade in the new year and I will probably put Snow Leopard on both machines in the process. The other reason is that forums like this change focus with incredible speed. Already most of the chat here is focussed on L9 so getting help, which I do mainly online, just works better if you're dealing with the latest version.

Greg

Upvote 0
Back