Logic Pro 9 Converting old cubase songs into Logic 9

Gio

Logician
Hi all,
I just finished digging up some old sessions that were done back in 1995-96 in Cubase Audio (way back when). I remember an old version of Logic could open those session, but no longer. Has anybody been able to do this recently?
Any help much appreciated
Ciao
Gio

Hi Gio

I have just brought 136 songs done in Cubase 4 into Logic 9
If it's all in Audio it's easy.

Open new Logic project & in the Media Section select Browser
in there
go to Computer or Home & find the place you have your Cubase Songs.
(theres an open button at bottom of browser section ), keep opening till you find the song
Then select Audio Tracks.
then just drag Audio tracks over to arranger.

Set your tempo etc

This all worked for me

Cheers

Upvote 0
@Zummooz - this presumably means you have audio files all starting at the same point?

@Gio, I can't honestly remember there ever being a logic version able to open Cubase files. I wonder if this was referring to attempts to use OMF, which have always been fraught with danger ....

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi Mackdvc

Yes I could open Logic (New Project) & import Audio Wav Files from Cubase 4 Projects into Logic 9
Via Media / Browser / HD (Where my Cubase 4 songs are ) press open
pick file where they are press open. Find song & press open . Then select Audio press open.
Then could see all Audio WAV file Tracks.
Drag across to arranger & place where they should start from.
ie: where they started in Cubase.

Example....Drums Measure 2 , Shaker Measure 8 , Guitar Measure 14 etc etc

I did it to 136 songs & worked with no drama's

If you want to have original Audio files from Cubase with no added efx etc
So you could redo in Logic.
You would have to redo that in Cubase 1st,

So as far as I can see & have done this is possible & easy to do.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info guys,
Unfortunately all the Cubase files I'm looking to convert are MIDI stuff. I tried booting from a backup image an old Logic 3.5 version (which I think was the last version of Logic to be able to open Cubase sessions), but its old OS 8.6 maybe, and Classic is not supported anymore...
Sigh.. maybe I could send a session to someone who has Cubase and see if they can open it.. hint hint :)
Ciao

Upvote 0
Sigh.. maybe I could send a session to someone who has Cubase and see if they can open it.. hint hint :)
Ciao

Hi Gio

Feel free to contact me off list, glad to help.

Oops - that means I have to admit to still having a cubase licence :redface::D

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Thanks Mark, I'll check in on you later today.
Glad you kept your license, just for me :))))))))
Thanks Again
Ciao

Upvote 0
Cubase to Logic

For what it is worth, I have successfully brought C5 songs that included MIDI data into Logic 8 via OMF without any problems, after firstly opening and saving them in SX3. However, from memory, I think I had problems trying to open songs created in C4 as SX3 would not recognize them.
I have never had any problem using OMF.
And just for the record, once I had made the switch to Logic I wondered why I had waited so many years to make the change.
Cheers!

Upvote 0
Interesting. I'd kind of given up my old cubase files for dead when I moved from PC to Mac. Is it possible to network a PC to a mac and move shared files that way or would I need to do the sacrilegious thing of loading cubase onto my Mac? (Please forgive me!)

Even then I'm not sure how best to grab the files from PC to mac. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Interesting. I'd kind of given up my old cubase files for dead when I moved from PC to Mac. Is it possible to network a PC to a mac and move shared files that way or would I need to do the sacrilegious thing of loading cubase onto my Mac? (Please forgive me!)

Even then I'm not sure how best to grab the files from PC to mac. Any thoughts?

Depending upon how new or old your PC is:
1. Connect an external HD. Then drag the Cubase project files onto that drive.
2. Thumb Drives are getting larger these days. Same as above.
3. Burn to DVD
4. http://www.detto.com/move-2-mac-overview.php
5. http://www.ehow.com/how_4750653_files-pc-mac-using-ethernet.html

Although Logic is my primary DAW for many reasons, the primary one being that I feel most at home with it, Cubase 5.5 has many cool features and works really well on Mac.

Upvote 0
Hi Gio

Feel free to contact me off list, glad to help.

Oops - that means I have to admit to still having a cubase licence :redface::D

kind regards

Mark

Hello Mark,
found this old thread while trying to problem solve a big problem we have.
I was asked to remix and finish a bunch go songs written and recorded in the 90´s in Sweden.
on Cubase ( Audio ) running on a Apple Power Mac 7100 then a Apple G4 if i remember right.
I am now recording on Logic Pro X through a Mac Pro running Mac OS X 10.9.
After recovering all these old Cubase files, saved as ALL or Song i cannot open OR convert them in any way.
They appear to be "UNIX exec"
Do you anyone who could help out?
I am now in England and have about 20 files that need to be converted to MIDI.
Thanks,
Bobby

Upvote 0
Hello,

Old .vst files need to opened in Cubase SX3 and saved as a .cpr file.

In SX3:
File>Import>Cubase Song
File>Save As for .cpr

If the projects are MIDI, then the next step is
File>Export SMF (standard midi file)

Better yet, if you still have access to Cubase VST, I'm not sure at the moment, but you may be able to export to SMF from the File menu.

The SMF can then be opened in Logic or any other DAW.

If you don't have SX3, I can convert the files on the 22nd or 23rd of this month when I'll have access to my set up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi CSeye, and thanks for information!
I don't have any version of Cubase anymore but was under the impression that i would need an original version
of the programs i was using to recover the files. If its able to be solved by SX3 that would be great!
(I remember using Cubase Audio at first then upgrading to Cubase VST / 24 /32 before switching to Logic. )
If you would want to give it a try it would be much appreciated!
Are you in the UK ?

Upvote 0
Hello,
I'm across the Atlantic.

The option would be send me a PM with contact information and a dropbox link or similar. Not a business proposition, just having gone through a massive conversion process a few years ago I can appreciate the need to revive legacy files. I currently have a dual-boot G4 (OS9 with Cubase VST 5.2 and OS X 10.4.11 with SX3.1), and a second internal drive in my now ancient MPB running Snow Leopard and SX3.1.

Then again, I can understand not wanting to give a total stranger original song files.

In order to use SX3, you or an associate would need to have a current version of Cubase with eLicenser.
Steinberg makes SX3 available as a free download in a link available in this thread. The actual download link will not copy. It's the second post from the top where it says Get SX3 here:
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/vi...628&p=429105&hilit=convert+vst+to+cpr#p429105

Just sign in as Guest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi there,
appreciate your advice and input. Yeah this has sure turned into a problem.
I followed the link only to find that the SX3 only is for PC. We use Apple.

Starting to think that the only real solution is to get an older Mac and installing OS 9.2 and Cubase VST again.
If the song files only included MIDI the sollution would be closer, but.
All the seperate songs also include instructions for the AUDIO recorded on many different channels
as well as the dynamic and time effects. These are not an issue in a worst case scenario.

I did restore/convert one song while having the old platform running.
I exported all the MIDI as a standard file ( which worked fine to import in Logic Pro X )
as well as bouncing out all the separate audio channels from bar 1. Keeping track of the bpm etc.

Would you be willing to try open and convert one of these song files and see what happens ?

Upvote 0
The Mac version of SX3 is there. Maybe you need to scroll around.

At any rate, I can open a file for you.
PM me.

Attachments

• SX3.png
    SX3.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 291
Upvote 0
Back