Logic Pro Copying pairs of audio tracks for multiple takes?

peterlemer

Logician
I'm recording double bass on 2 mics/channels/tracks and want to record multiple passes.

1. How do I easily create 2 new tracks with the same settings next to each other? or
2. If I re-record using 'Take folders' how easy is it to parse into separate tracks in pairs?

pete

fuzzfilth

Logician
Create two tracks
Put them into the same Group, and activate at least Editing and Record in the Group settings.
Now recording takes place on both tracks and editing takes on one track is mirrored in the other.

Upvote 0

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
I would certainly use Takes'Comping for this Pete. One important thing is then to create a group containing the two tracks (or rather, their channel strips) , and switch on Editing and Quantize Locked. This will allow you to swipe one region to make a selection and have the corresponding region in the take on the second track also selected. I've been able to make use of this tracking drums, horn sections and the like, sometimes with 10+ takes over 12 tracks. See attached screenshot illustrating how you might set up your two bass tracks.
If you haven't used takes/comping, might make sense to practice a little on your own before the talent arrives ;-)

HTH

Mark

Ah, Christian was quicker :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 13.39.11.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 13.39.11.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

sk0rk0

Logician
Create a folder stack of your two tracks. Close the stack, hit the right-most + button on the top left, whatever that's called. It will duplicate your pair, including routing, inserts and plugins.

Upvote 0

fuzzfilth

Logician
Create a folder stack of your two tracks. Close the stack, hit the right-most + button on the top left, whatever that's called. It will duplicate your pair, including routing, inserts and plugins.
So then there's four independent tracks to record on and...?

Upvote 0

sk0rk0

Logician
You record and edit. I do this all the time with drums, brass, string sessions. I don't like to use take folders in these circumstances.

Upvote 0

peterlemer

Logician
I would certainly use Takes'Comping for this Pete. One important thing is then to create a group containing the two tracks (or rather, their channel strips) , and switch on Editing and Quantize Locked. This will allow you to swipe one region to make a selection and have the corresponding region in the take on the second track also selected. I've been able to make use of this tracking drums, horn sections and the like, sometimes with 10+ takes over 12 tracks. See attached screenshot illustrating how you might set up your two bass tracks.
If you haven't used takes/comping, might make sense to practice a little on your own before the talent arrives ;-)

HTH

Mark

Ah, Christian was quicker :)
Your screenshot echoes exactly where I got to, so that is highly reassuring.
My next step was to move the tracks into parallel takes for ease of comparing takes. Would this be redundant?

Upvote 0

peterlemer

Logician
hmm- I think this might have been a better option, thanks for next time.

Upvote 0