Logic Pro 9 Copying track strips from previous project

peterlemer

Logician
I've just recorded 6 projects at a studio with live musicians via soundscape.
I imported the new audio tracks into the first existing Logic project and set up the mix, including pans, plugins, levels.

I've saved each strip setting for use on the other 5 projects - eg. having worked the drum kit on the first project, I expect to use the same setup on all 6 tracks.

I've also put all the new tracks onto a dedicated Environent layer.

I've had a go at importing that layer into my second project, but it seems messy.

1. the imported layer has many blank strips
2. I created 16 new audio tracks in Arrange, and some seem to have referred to the imported strips, some are new.
3. I imported the appropriate audio files and dragged them onto the new tracks in Arrange, then shuffled the regions to the new layer objects, but the plugins and settings didn't seem to match.

I've decided to start from scratch and simply create new audio tracks and apply the saved settings one by one. I'll need to do this 4 more times, so wondered whether there a way to do this simply or is it an unfinished feature of Logic?

pete

Recorded 6 projects (songs), set up the first one, added effects, set pan & volume?

Trying to import the Environment layer into the next project?

Why not open a new Empty project, then open Logic's browser (F), navigate to and select the first set up project, click Import.

Do not select content, but do select Plug-ins, click Add. You'll be asked to "Please locate..." the audio files from the first project. Just keep clicking Cancel. New audio tracks will be created in your new project loaded with channel strips, volume and pan settings. Much cleaner than trying to import the Environment layer.

Attachments

• Import 1.png
    Import 1.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Import2.png
    Import2.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0
Or you could set up a template. Since you're done with the first project, Save As... to a new project. Then delete everything you don't want. Basically set up the project as a blank slate with the proper plug-ins, routing, etc. Make sure you delete all regions from the Arrange window and everything from the bin so you don't have to deal with locating referenced files for every new project. Then save as a template. Work from this template for the next 5 songs.

It will save you time since you don't need to import from the previous project every time you start a new project.

Upvote 0
Saving as a template is a valid solution.

I'd still do the project import the first time into an Empty project, then save as a template for the remaining projects. But that's me.:hippy:

Upvote 0
ah yes, good advice, but all the projects have pre-session regions on them.
Vocals, VIs, tempo maps, markers and more.

So I need to import the new audio strips with all their plugins and sends etc, including bus strips, into existing pre-session projects

pete

Upvote 0
Back