Logic Pro 8 Copying tracks (control strips) from song to song

toddsta

Okay, I am new to Logic, so please bear with me. I have created a guitar sound that I really like. It's got about 5 inserts in the control strip and I'd like to copy the entire strip/sound/track to another song.

I've found how to duplicate a track and its setting WITHIN a song/project, but how do I get it to (into) another song and then swap the actual guitar waveform into that sound/channelstrip/track?

Thanks!

Use the "save channel strip setting as" feature to save the channel strip. It will then show up in your pop-up menu for channel strip settings. Do not change the default location when you save it. You can however certainly organize with sub-folders in that location.

If you want the guitar audio file, import or drag in the new project.

Upvote 0
Hey toddsta,

Doug's answer is right on. If you just want to copy it to the new project though and aren't interested in saving it in the long term, there's one other thing you can do.

From that same Channel Strip Settings menu, just "copy" the channel strip setting rather than saving it. Then in the destination project, on the appropriate track, from that same menu, "paste" the channel strip setting. Keep in mind though that this is only in a temporary buffer and will be lost after you quit Logic or copy another setting to the buffer.

Doug's way is better, as it's more easily recallable - but this will do it too.

Upvote 0
Yeah, these guys have the best answers, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to do this en masse for several channels at once? A whole drumkit for example? That way we could record with very little CPU overhead, and then just load up the plug ins for mixing. Or having worked hard to get a sound for one song, transfer that to other songs on the same session.

Roger Jackson
Film Music
Oxford UK

Upvote 0
I'll admit there's no perfect answer, everything is a work-around.

Two more possibilities: save a mixing session as a template (remove all audio files first, of course) and then drag your files in, or explore the Copy Audio Configuration (mixer window, options menu). This may not be of much help - I'm not real familiar with it and I know it was dummied down from Logic 7.

Upvote 0
I'm with Roger; I would LOVE to see a way to bring multiple channel strip settings in to session and in general be able to more easily move them around en masse.

I record my live drum kit regularly and FTR, do exactly what Doug describes: I have a template specifically for when I am recording drums with the drum tracks all grouped and bussed the way I like them, and my favorite default plug in starting points already in place, etc. It is the best compromise currently.

And inevitably every so often when I do a mix based on this template, I end up deleting the audio and automation, and other project specific information; and then use it to overwrite the original template.

Upvote 0
Exactly what I do too, but it means my template isn't the super-slim, CPU-lean and lowest-latency beauty I should prefer it to be. And isn't that the point of channel strip settings?

Roger Jackson
Film Music
Oxford UK

Upvote 0
Exactly what I do too, but it means my template isn't the super-slim, CPU-lean and lowest-latency beauty I should prefer it to be. And isn't that the point of channel strip settings?

Roger Jackson
Film Music
Oxford UK

One of them :)

[tangent alert]
And while we're on the subject - one little thing that really bugs me about channel strip settings: You call up a channel strip setting - decide you don't like it and either replace or remove all of the plugins - the dam name still appears in the channel strip settings field! And if you clear or initialize the channel strip setting, you lose your preset bus assignments. There's no easy way to get back to your default channel strip you started with.

Upvote 0
Back