Logic Pro X CPU meter and dropouts

AMS

Happy New Year,

I'm new to Logic, coming over from Cakewalk. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro, 2.8 i5, 8 GB RAM, UA Apollo 8 interface. I'm getting clicks and pops when loading larger software instruments, like DreamPop kit in EZDrummer. I notice that one out of the 4 Audio meters (rightmost) in the CPU/HD window goes way up after loading this kit, and almost to the top when playing. The pops and clicks occur even when just playing my keyboard, not recording. Is there something causing this overload to occur? I would think the specs of my Mac should be fine to cover 8 tracks of midi and audio, using mostly NI plugins and EZDrummer? I've checked all the settings that I can think of so not sure what to do next.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

In Logic> Preferences> Audio > I/O/ Buffer Size. What's it set at? I use like 128 or 256. If it's lower than that I get pops clicks drop outs.

AMS

I've tried both. It's better at 128 but still get dropouts. Just playing a midi loop will cause this, not even recording. Any other setting I should check or monitor?

I also got much better performance upping to 16 RAM. Especially when I loaded NI soft synths. And definitely store and work with your projects on an external SSD.