Custom Colors...or at least More Different Colors

Descartes

Logician
Logic 10.3 brought more colors, which turned out to be more of the same. There are still not enough differentiated colors, at least for my purposes. I color instrument groups, auxes, effects, etc. in different color schemes.

In the standard palette, it would be great to bring back:
- real red
- black
- white
- various grays

Then also allow easy full customization of the palette.

Finally, there should be an option to colorize the entire track header, not just the color bar. Better yet, a pale version of the color should fill the background of the entire track so it's easy to identify tracks on a wide display.

Finally, there should be an option to colorize the entire track header, not just the color bar. Better yet, a pale version of the color should fill the background of the entire track so it's easy to identify tracks on a wide display.

Agreed! I have always found the murky dark color scheme to be rather oppressive and needlessly drab.
And Apple's BS explanation that "darker colors connote professional looking software," must mean their design team had never seen Pro Tools, Live, Reaper or Adobe's Audition (which has a slider bar to allow the user to affect the overall appearance of the DAW.)
Of course I don't blame Logic's team directly as I know the matching looks of FCPX and Logic were clearly part of a more broad "look" from the higher ups at Apple...
But the fact you can't just make the interface suite your taste is just so... arrogant. Every version of Logic up to X allowed you to do that and I always appreciated that flexibility.
Murky DAW interfaces are not terribly useful (to me) in the audio world.
Truth be told, the only industry who actually benefits from "darker" interfaces are those in the visual creative arts, like non-linear editors, photographers, CGI graphics artists or color-correct artists. They need the dark charcoal look because the background of their interfaces need to be as passive as possible so that the subject matter is clearly seen.
For a DAW, it's just unnecessary and arrogantly arbitrary (of Apple) not to allow the user to change the appearance of Logic to their liking.

I agree 100%.

The limited color palette available is ridiculous. They should allow complete control over colors for waveforms and tracks. Just add a standard color picker (similar to Pages).

In the meantime, there is this program:

https://www.creationauts.com/products/logic-pro-colorizer/

I've played around with it, and even though it's not perfect (likely due to limits imposed by Logic), it does allow for a degree of customization that can be helpful.

Apple should absolutely allow intuitive color customization throughout the program.

Back