Logic Pro 9 Destructrive Recording

hsdrecording

Logician
Is there an option for this? I dont like the way that logic keeps track of all the takes. Or maybe its something im doing. it seems to always bring the old takes to the front. Can i record without it keeping all the takes as i go? Destructive Recording in pt.

When you record audio in cycle mode, it will always make a Takes folder. There's no way around that. However, if you want to, as soon as you press stop, you can use the "Unpack Takes Folder" command to explode all of your takes onto independent tracks.

If you want to keep your Takes folder, but just have the most recent Take on top, you can:
  1. Disclose your Takes folder (click the triangle on the left)
  2. Select the Take you wish to be visible on the Arrange track.
  3. Re-close the Takes folder (click the disclosure triangle again)

If you are not in Cycle mode, if you stop recording, you can delete the existing region or start recording on a new track then start recording again.

Orren

Upvote 0
Use REPLACE mode. This button may not be on your Transport. If not, Right-Click on transport to customize, and add the Replace button (near the bottom of the Modes and FUnctions options on the right).

The button is a big X that gets Orange when active - super handy. As long as not Take folder already exists, it will overwrite any audio regions (though not destructively removing the audio from disk). However, if a Take folder already exists, Logic will not replace but will behave as if Replace were not on.

Same rules when in cycle mode.

Upvote 0
Use REPLACE mode. This button may not be on your Transport. If not, Right-Click on transport to customize, and add the Replace button (near the bottom of the Modes and FUnctions options on the right).

The button is a big X that gets Orange when active - super handy. As long as not Take folder already exists, it will overwrite any audio regions (though not destructively removing the audio from disk). However, if a Take folder already exists, Logic will not replace but will behave as if Replace were not on.

Same rules when in cycle mode.

That's the theory, but last I tried it in Logic 9, it wasn't functioning that way. :(

Orren

Upvote 0
Orren: can you specify what seems to not be working correctly in L9? I seem to be able to do Replace recording if there is no existing Take folder -- if there is one I have to flatten it to get Replace recording happening again - is this what has changed from 8? ( I seem to recall 8 doing replace even with Take folders, chopping holes in them).

On a related note, I have had some experiences with Record Repeat deleting more than just the portion of an audio region I was punching into if I stopped the punch before it got to the end of the autopunch selection . . .

Upvote 0
Somewhat related - I remember that punch on the fly didn't work correctly in L9; it created a take folder when none was present. But I think this got repaired with the latest update.

Upvote 0
Back