Digital Distortion

lcollen1

Logician
Can anyone explain to me why a mix in Logic is clean while the same mix in Music for Mac (iTunes) is distorted-and then only parts of it?

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
Difficult without any more information. Is it possible that some setting is causing the mix to run hotter in Music for Mac?

kind regards

Mark

lcollen1

Logician
Difficult without any more information. Is it possible that some setting is causing the mix to run hotter in Music for Mac?

kind regards

Mark
I did take a look at that as that provided the easiest explanation, but I could find anything that might be the case there.
As for other info. this is in Logic v. 10.6.3 and macOS 10.15.7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. What else might you need to know to help diagnose this?
It's difficult to hear what else could be causing this but it might (repeat-might) be one plugin and it's reaction to some overall track compression.
My thanks for any insight you might provide.

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
What else might you need to know to help diagnose this?
If you suspect a plugin, then try creating a bounce without that and see what happens. Otherwise, posting the logic project along with the mix might (but not necessarily will) be of help. If that is too complicated then the mix file, I could try that here and see if it causes distortion in Music on my Mac - also running 10.6.3, but in Big Sur.

lcollen1

Logician
Yes, indeed, the suspicions were correct as, even before you suggested it, I did determine that the one plugin, usually a very good sounding pedal steel guitar plugin, was the culprit. Now since this is an integral part of this song I need to come up with a way to get around it without totally changing the sound/feel of the track.
My thanks to you for your help in the confirmation of my suspicions.
Now to roll up my sleeves ( I forgot I don't have any on this t-shirt) and find another way through this.