Logic Pro X Disc too slow

Larry B. Rubin

Logician
A common problem,I am getting the Disc to slow error accompanied by a loud audio pop . I have tried just about every suggestion that I could find to no avail. I have my audio path on an external SSD through thunderbolt.My software synths on it as well. The pop is so loud that recording or mixing is nerve racking. I have a Mac Mini and a really old Tascam US 144 interface. I was wondering if the old interface could be the culprit,or could it be the Mac mini. This is happening on projects with only one audio track and a few samplers. Help would be appreciated.

facej

Logician
Version of Logic?
Version of macOS?
Model number/spec of Mac mini?

Note - a few samplers can require access to hundreds of files - where are the sampler libraries?

etc.

Larry B. Rubin

Logician
Logic Pro x 10.4.4. - Mojave 10.14.3- Mac mini Intel Core i3 8GB Memory 128GB Solid state. My Samplers and loops are on a Samsung T5 1TB SSD through thunderbolt.

Larry B. Rubin

Logician
I worked on the most problematic project using only the Mac mini ear phone out and disconnected the ancient Tascam US 144 and had no errors. I’m not positive that the interface is the problem but it’s surely looking that way.

facej

Logician
How is the US-144 getting power? There should be sufficient power if it is connected directly to the Mac mini. Might be problematic if using a USB hub.

If you are using a hub try working without the hub - connect the US-144 directly to the Mac.

As always, try using a different USB cable as well.

Hmmm - drivers for the interface - that is quite easily the problem. Something to try, assuming that you can re-install drivers if needed...
1. Uninstall the drivers for the US-144.
2. Restart your system doing a "safe boot" - hold down shift key right after the startup chime...
3. Wait patiently. Once system comes back up restart again, no shift key this time.
4. Try using your US-144. If the device is "class compliant" then you should be able to use the interface. I can't tell from looking at the manual.

If it isn't class compliant then re-install driver and scratch your head a lot...

Larry B. Rubin

Logician
Thanks facej for your suggestions. I have abandoned the Tascam after getting some adapters for my RME Fireface , Wich I love. I installed the latest drivers and have been putting it through the motions and have not had the issue yet.I hope this is cured. Thanks again.

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
Logic Pro x 10.4.4. - Mojave 10.14.3- Mac mini Intel Core i3 8GB Memory 128GB Solid state. My Samplers and loops are on a Samsung T5 1TB SSD through thunderbolt.
Larry, how much space is still free on that 128 GB SSD? I wonder if you are running into difficulties with swap files needing more space than that pretty small system drive is perhaps able to make available?

kind regards

Mark

Larry B. Rubin

Logician
Thanks Mark. I have plenty of space left on the drive. I got adapters for my RME Fireface and all is well. Your response is appreciated.