Logic Pro (X) Disk Meter too high on my iMac

yavuz

Logician
I have mid 2011 iMac 3.2GhZ with 8 megs of RAM.
I don't get Disk Too Slow messages but my Disk meter rides around 60-70% all the time.

I added a screen shot of a project that has 7 16 bit tracks.

Why could that be?

I have a separate Western Digital FW800 Audio drive and I use RME USB interface FirefaceUC

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 11.14.44.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 11.14.44.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 184
When I play the same project in my internal hard drive the result is much better.
Check the second attachment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 11.25.22.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 11.25.22.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0
Can someone help please?

I am trying to erase my FW800 Drive.
I could not do it in Maverick since Disk Utility did not give me any option.
I tried doing it from terminal and it erased the disk as OS X Extended ( not journaled ) but the partition table remains Extended and Journaled and Logic Disk performance is still poor.

How are you guys using external audio disks mine performs really bad where it should perform really well. My internal drive performs much better.

Should I erase partition table and try to format it as HFS+ as well?

Upvote 0
I always use OSX extended journaled, Logic and other apps use spotlight to locate files.

What is the rotational speed of your external hard drive?

I always use 7200rpm drives, and have never saturated one, even on FW400.

Also how much free space do you have on your system drive?

:confused:

Upvote 0
I don't know if it is true but it looks like my western digital drive is not good for audio.
They sell it saying 7200RPM but it turns out these new GREEN drives are variable rotation speed to save energy but it does not work out well for audio.

I have 1 2TB FW800 WD, 1 USB 2.0 1TB WD drive and internal drive.
Surprisingly the internal drive performs the best.
Disk meter does not even move even for big projects.

My USB Western Digital drive was my Time Machine Drive and FW800 WD drive was Audio.
Now I have switched them around.
I will put older projects to Audio drive and work from my internal drive for new projects.

Can I install a second internal drive to my 27" iMac?

May be I should just buy an internal SSD drive and be done/

Upvote 0
I have seen this
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2390+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/9266

So I'm thinking about it.
For now, I have 600gb free space in my internal drive and that gives me the best performance. I have tried a movie score project with over 60 tracks with no performance problems. So I use the internal drive for new projects and move them to external drive once I am done with them. External drives are for backup and archive now.

Upvote 0
Back