Logic Pro 8 Drum Mapping and Notating in Logic

morganmd7

Hey,

I'm working on notating a drum part in the score editor, and I would like to add some basic time (which is where the measure is filled with slashes). I figured I could do that by going into Staff Styles and changing one of the voices' rest setting to "Slashes". When I set rests to "Slashes" under Hi-Hat it puts the slashes in the right location but it overlaps everything else, because it's putting a slash wherever there is no hi-hat. Is there a way around this.

Also, if I try to just manually add slashes the measure doesn't adjust to the slashes I add. What I mean is that usually when you add a rest the measure widens for you to add more notes or rests, but when I add a slash nothing happens.

I attached some pictures to let you know what I mean

Thanks,

Attachments

• Picture 16.jpg
    Picture 16.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Picture 15.png
    Picture 15.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 166
>
> That does not work in Logic
>
> Score symbols are just symbols ; they do not act

What doesn't work in Logic?

Score symbols can act (if I interpret this correctly)

But I'm not sure which post you are quoting, if you are quoting a post, as what you say is not in the original post.

Upvote 0
>
> That does not work in Logic
>
> Score symbols are just symbols ; they do not act

What doesn't work in Logic?

Score symbols can act (if I interpret this correctly)

But I'm not sure which post you are quoting, if you are quoting a post, as what you say is not in the original post.

I explain a bit better with my bad English:

From my knowledge of Logic I have always read that most of the score symbol are just graphical indication for the score reader, they do not have any incident on the note you have key in Logic.

i.e. guitare tablatures, sections, repeat section signs, crescendo, decrescendo.............

Best

Cyril

P.S. It will be great if they will act ;)

Best

Cyril

Upvote 0
From my knowledge of Logic I have always read that most of the score symbol are just graphical indication for the score reader, they do not have any incident on the note you have key in Logic.

i.e. guitare tablatures, sections, repeat section signs, crescendo, decrescendo.............

But many can be made to act, ie by transforming the meta data to something a software instrument can respond to, e.g. keyswitches, CC data.

See here:

http://www.petethomas.co.uk/logic-combo-remapper.html

(there are some video demos as well)

Upvote 0
What you are doing is nice but but it very limited and is very tricky because of the bugs in Logic

It will be so great if Apple could do the job so you don't have to fiddle out (The french expression it to "bricoller")

Upvote 0
Well, it's not that tricky - I've done all the tricky bit. The point is it workd better than the current way of having to use keyswitches in score or CC data.

Upvote 0
Actually I just tried separating it into a different region and I was able to use the hi-hat with the "Slash" setting.

That would be my suggested technique. You can also look at changing note heads to the rhythmic look and hiding stems. Not as good looking, but when nothing else works and you need to get a chart done.......

Upvote 0
I have requested the use of slashes to work like user rests, and many other enhancements to the way Logic deals with drum parts, but nobody took any notice :mad::mad:

Upvote 0
There have been wish lists created here and at other sites - I'm sure you contributed to them - regarding improving the score editor.

I talked to an Apple/Logic guy at NAMM a few years back who said (and I paraphrase) "not a good percentage of users to warrant the percent of funds needed to seriously improve the score editor"

So, thanks for lobbying for the improvements, and may we see them (albeit slowly) in new versions of Logic....

Upvote 0
I talked to an Apple/Logic guy at NAMM a few years back who said (and I paraphrase) "not a good percentage of users to warrant the percent of funds needed to seriously improve the score editor"

The problem with these sorts of people is they look at the users they have, not the ones they could have if they played their cards right.

Upvote 0
Back