Logic Pro (X) Drum Mapping....

Tigersharc

Logician
I am new to this forum and so I did some reading and searching in regards to drum mapping. I am trying to figure out if it is now possible with Logic Pro X that one can map drum sounds in Ultra Beat and use a drum controller such as an Akai MPD to play and record midi. Thanks in advance

Ultrabeat notes range from C1 to C3.
Drum Machine Designer pads range from C1 to B4.

What notes are assigned to the Akai MPD pads?

Upvote 0
Good question. I'm coming from a FL Studio/ MPC software background. Both of which auto map your pads for you. I don't know what notes are triggered from the 16 pads. I have seen in my search through the forum certain members referring to a software that tells you what notes are triggered when you press pads on the controller. I wasn't sure if this was legit and or if this software would cost or be intrusive to my Mac....

Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with the MPD.

Logic has a MIDI monitor so you can see what MIDI note/numbers are being triggered.
It also has a mapped instrument object that lets you change the output notes so that they will trigger the programmeddrums notes in a drum plug-in.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I will save that link for future reference, seems to have a lot of information available. I guess tonight I will give the midi mapping a try and see if I can figure this out for my controller.

Upvote 0
Since it sounds like you have Logic, trigger each pad to see what MIDI note/number is displaying in the control panel MIDI monitor. (You'll need to use the Custom time display to see it.) Hopefully, it follows a general MIDI sequence beginning with C1.

Report back with your findings.

Upvote 0
OK I quickly went through the pads on my MPD 32. There are 16 pads starting from bottom left to right in a four by four set up.

Pad 1 = C#1
Pad 2 = C1
Pad 3 = F#1
Pad 4= A#4
Pad 5 = E1
Pad 6 = D1
Pad 7 = A#1
Pad 8 = G#1
Pad 9 = C2
Pad 10 = B1
Pad 11 = A1
Pad 12 = G1
Pad 13 = C#2
Pad 14 = G2
Pad 15 = D#2
Pad 16 = F2

Upvote 0
You can make those notes work as is after making some note assignment changes in a mapped instrument.
Having said that, you'll have a much better and easier play experience with Ultrabeat if you change the MPD pad assignments to General MIDI drums.

From the 'Settings on the MPD or MPK' section of this document
  1. Press the PRESET button on the MPD or MPK.
  2. Rotate the Value Knob (located just to the right of the display on the MPK, and just
    underneath the display on the MPD) until the display reads GM Drums (Preset 15).
  3. Press the Value Knob down (like a button) to confirm your preset selection.
When set to GM Drums, the MPD pads will match Ultrabeat's note assignments.
MPD pads from left to right, bottom row:
Pad 1: C1=kick
Pad 2: C#1= rim
Pad 3: D1= snare
etc.

Upvote 0
Using the MPK Mini Editor software, you can manually change the note played by each pads, to match the notes showed
inDrum Machine Designer. Strangely you need to make them on octave higher on the MPK Editor. So if DMD is showing C1, you need to
enter the note value for C2 in Pad 1. If interested, I programmed mine to have the 8 pads from the keyboard (4 in bank A/4 in bank B) matching the 8 pads displayed by default on DMD.

1. Launch MPK Mini Editor
2. File - Open Program
3. Upload the file above
4. File - Send Program to whatever program you want on your keyboard (mine is on 2 for instance)

On the keyboard, hold down "program select" (far right button) and tap the pad that correspond to the program you just sent it to (so pad 2 for me)
Note: to have the program working on the keyboard, switch first to another random program and then to the one you want, to refresh the memory (so mine being in 2, I first selected 1 and then 2)

Then you will see the title of the program being displayed on your keyboard LCD.
I based the above program on the Logic Pro program made by Akai, just the pads are different.

Hope that helps!
Flo

Upvote 0
Back