Duh..new Imac no firewire input for my Duet...what to do?

Get the Apple FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter, about $30. I use this on an iMac. works great. If the Duet is FW400 you'll also need a FW400 to FW800 cable.

Does your new iMac have Thunderbolt 3 (USB C) ports or Thunderbolt 2 which is backwards compatible to TB1?
Check the specs of your iMac before you order any adapters.

You connect your FW400 cable from the Duet to the adapters to connect to your iMac.

In my case, I'm able to connect a FW800 cable from a MOTU Track 16 to a FW800 to TB2 adapter which is connected to a TB2 to TB3 adapter which connects to a 2017 MacBook Pro which has TB3 (USB C) ports.

This from Apogee...

"Thanks so much for reaching out. Please note this device is not officially supported with the latest Macs. We recommend you take advantage of our Firewire Trade in Promotion http://www.apogeedigital.com/firewire-trade-in

If you want to try to get the device to connect you will need the following cables:

Firewire 400 to 800 -> Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter.

Duet for iPad and Mac is 100% supported on the new Macs you will only need the USB to USB-C adapter. Apogee has a USB-C cable coming soon for Duet for iPad and Mac.

Regards,
Team Apogee"

Maybe EBAY for another interface would be easier....eyeroll!!!

What is Apple's recommendation on this??? Since; Duet was the anointed one. Where is the Apple FW to TB cable?

Ok...$85 and two apple adapters later I now have Duet as my default sound source again, however when I open Maestro II no Apogee system is recognized. In other words I have no control of inputs and output. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Maestro 2 version 2.8.8

Last edited:
Well...I tried a reinstall..no go so I went to the apogee support page requested a software download. HIgh Sierra is "not tested." Evidently that's a compatibility issue and the reason for their buy back program. As a songwriter/musician with a small home studio I don't really feel that I need to be married to Apogee after this.

I traded my FW Ensemble after the release of OSX Lion, OSX 10.7 as Apogee, a company dedicated to Apple, did not have their drivers updated. At that point I had to use my venerable MOTU 828 MKll which worked like a champ.

No more Apogee purchases for me.

I apologize for not following up earlier but I've been under the weather.
After much debate and hassle I finally broke down and purchased an Apollo Twin. I'm pissed at Apogee but I'm even more pissed at Apple. We are herded like helpless sheep from one upgrade/expenditure to another. As I have posted among friends on FB; buying into to Apple is like stepping on fly paper....you're stuck for life. Simply because I needed to replace an old computer I've now had to invest over $2000 to get back to where I was. Thanks to everyone for your help

Back