Logic Pro 8 eastwest PLAY and logic 8

Darrell

Logician
hi. i've been fighting with E/W PLAY and Logic 8 all morning. I've tried the setup that EW delineates in the manualm which seems very complex. Any other ideas?

thanks,
darrell

Hi All,
On a similar wavelength ;~) (Apologies if this seems like a thread Hijack!, but it may answer problems for Darrell too).
So.... may I interject with a similar query re E/W Play. I've just upgraded to an 8 core mac pro (os 10.5.7 - 12gb ram) with logic 8.02 & Protools 8.0.0cs2 with HD3A. I'm not using esb anymore (thank the gods!) Instead DAE+Core audio with an RME on ADAT link back to the 192's.
When I use a stereo multi timbral instance of Play using SD2, with up to 16 parts. It seems the Play engine is only accessing 1 processor (is this all it can do from within logic?) and consequently on some more 'juicy' patch sets is maxing out that 1 processor, causing some overload clicks. I know I can freeze it, but are there any workarounds / settings I'm missing?
Many thanks for any input.

Cheers.

Phin.

Upvote 0
Hi All,
On a similar wavelength ;~) (Apologies if this seems like a thread Hijack!, but it may answer problems for Darrell too).
So.... may I interject with a similar query re E/W Play. I've just upgraded to an 8 core mac pro (os 10.5.7 - 12gb ram) with logic 8.02 & Protools 8.0.0cs2 with HD3A. I'm not using esb anymore (thank the gods!) Instead DAE+Core audio with an RME on ADAT link back to the 192's.
When I use a stereo multi timbral instance of Play using SD2, with up to 16 parts. It seems the Play engine is only accessing 1 processor (is this all it can do from within logic?) and consequently on some more 'juicy' patch sets is maxing out that 1 processor, causing some overload clicks. I know I can freeze it, but are there any workarounds / settings I'm missing?
Many thanks for any input.

Cheers.

Phin.

You do not want to use multi-timbral instances of Play very much because as you found out, it all goes to 1 core. So EW recommends that you open separate stereo instances to spread throughout the cores. This also makes mixing them a lot easier when you automate MIDI CCs as you do not have to use auxes to keep the AU itself from going cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

Upvote 0
Hi Jay,
Thanx for the info. As I suspected, and quite right about the automation / mixing. I hadn't got that far yet, still sorting the new setup/testing things out. I've had SD2 for a while now, but didn't even bother with it on the G5, due to it's raging hunger for power:lsaber:

Cheers.

Phin.

Upvote 0
Darrell, do you have a version of Kontakt that you could use instead? Another member might correct me on this, but I believe that Kontakt and PLAY offer similar functionality?

Upvote 0
Back