Logic Pro 9 editing volumes

Edgold

Logician
:(I've looked at some information on this but I can't seem to control my volume editing in the Hyper window.

for one thing, when I try to zoom in on the volume with the zoom tool, it suddenly gets larger but won't return to its former size. Yes, I'm aware of the keyboard arrows but they mostly don't seem to work.

Then something new: when I use the pencil tool to draw, it selects a whole section of the volume events and will only edit that selected portion and I can't do a gradual change in volume.

It's very frustrating!:brkwl:

Why not just use the arrange window automation? Select "view track automation" from the view submenu on the arrange window, select volume as your edit type (it comes up as a default) and work there. Hyper edit for volume can be very kludgy...

Upvote 0
:
for one thing, when I try to zoom in on the volume with the zoom tool, it suddenly gets larger but won't return to its former size. Yes, I'm aware of the keyboard arrows but they mostly don't seem to work.

How exactly are you zooming in? Not every zoom function has the same "stepping backwards" abilities.

:
Then something new: when I use the pencil tool to draw, it selects a whole section of the volume events and will only edit that selected portion and I can't do a gradual change in volume.

Sounds like maybe you have automation snap enabled in your Arrange Window snap settings.

Upvote 0
Why not just use the arrange window automation? Select "view track automation" from the view submenu on the arrange window, select volume as your edit type (it comes up as a default) and work there. Hyper edit for volume can be very kludgy...
Thanks George. Yes, "kludgy" indeed.

I found that for editing volume, the autozoom feature in the arrange window works well and is easy to reverse. Also, the autodraw window with the yellow line makes it much more feasible to edit the volumes with greater sensitivity.

Velocities, I find, are best edited in the piano roll window with the velocity tool that allows you to change single velocities as well as those of a selection.

Upvote 0
Thanks again Eli,

I was using the zoom tool in the volume line of the hypereditor at the bottom of the window. Clearly not the way to do it. See my reply to George, above.

Upvote 0
After working in this volume autodraw window, the sound has changed to an annoying flutter and fuzziness in places and I can't figure out why. Does anyone know what that might be from?

Upvote 0
are you sure you don't have automation in both the track and the region that are conflicting? Logic can have 2 automation moves happening at the same time: 1 from the hyper editor, and one from the arrange window track.

Fun that one...

Upvote 0
are you sure you don't have automation in both the track and the region that are conflicting? Logic can have 2 automation moves happening at the same time: 1 from the hyper editor, and one from the arrange window track.

Fun that one...
I don't think that's quite the case but it may be close.

The default (?) region display shows a green field on which there are closely-spaced upward white posts and in the one place where this happens, these posts are of random heights. Otherwise they form a pattern of some sort. The result seems to be a gated effect but I have no idea what these are.

Upvote 0
Back