Logic Pro X Environment for Midi notes to control Vocal Transfomer Pitch knob on audio sample?

without

Can someone point me in the direction of what I need to do the following?

I have an audio sample on one audio track. I have an effect on this track - the vocal transformer.
I want to use a software instrument track to lay down some midi notes that effect settings on the vocal transformer on the audio track (in this case the pitch) to effect it in a slight autotune style.
I realise I can't do this with MidiFX as the audio track itself has no MIDI but that I should be able to get Environment to do this with Transforms. Any pointers?
Ta

Logic X 10.3 El Capitan

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe easier to use Logic’s MIDI FX plugins? You can do it.

Create an instrument track and at instrument selection look down the list, there should be an entry "AU MIDI-controlled effects". These effects usually have sidechains (external audio input). Take a plugin that doesn’t alter the tone and set the sidechain (top right in the window) to the audio track or bus you want. Now your audio runs through the instrument channel and you can use MIDI FX plugins to control other plugins.

You can mute the original audio track or use it in parallel.

If you have the DDMF Metaplugin or the Bidule plugin, just load it, set the sidechain and connect inputs to outputs.

If you don’t have any MIDI controlled effects, I recommend downloading some freeware from Blue Cat Audio. The Gain Suite for example, or the FreqAnalyst. They are handy for other tasks also.

Upvote 0

without

Actually, I want a bit more control like you get using transformers in the Environment. I tried to follow this set up: environment transformers video
but I couldn't actually work out from it all the steps needed to set it up properly to actually 1) effect the knobs 2) get a sound out when doing so.
Are there any tutorials that better explain this sort if thing?
thanks

Upvote 0

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
The Logic User Guide covers much of the Environment.
It should be available as PDF also, somewhere.

Be aware that the Logic Environment is graphical programming,
it is complex. There are often different solutions for the same target.

To help in your specific case I would like to know what exactly you want to do. It is ok if you want just a generic example, but before we start to patch anything, we need a proper description of a task. Please answer the following questions:
  1. Which plugin do you want to control?
  2. Which parameter (knob, fader, switch) do you want to control?
  3. Is the plugin in an audio or instrument channel?
  4. In which slot sits the plugin, 1st slot, 2nd slot, other number?
  5. Do you want to control the plugin from the outside via MIDI, or with an Environment fader?
  6. Do you need to record your controller movements?
With this information I can provide a step-by-step example and tell you the basics about building such a patch.

Upvote 0

Tangra

Logician
I have an audio sample on one audio track. I have an effect on this track - the vocal transformer.
I want to use a software instrument track to lay down some midi notes that effect settings on the vocal transformer on the audio track (in this case the pitch) to effect it in a slight autotune style.
MIDI FX plugins cannot do that directly - only the Environment.
I have developed such Environment realtime Macro in the pass (maybe 10 years ago or more).
It is 100% matching your original requirements.

The most difficult part is that it is a sort of a "Smart" environment tool which cannot be created easily. It has to detect the MIDI voices polyphony intelligently (like say MIDI divisi) and after that to convert the detected voices into Vocal transformer Pitch parameters control (a few Vocal Transformers must be loaded per MIDI voice in the Auxes). I remember I had developed auto-formant control, MIDI Voice panning etc...
I'll do my best to find that project in my Logic Environment tools developments and will post a demo here...

Last edited:
Upvote 0