Logic Pro (X) Environment window nonsense

captainmarko

Logician
I will occasionally use the environment window to simplify things "on the ground". For instance, using one VI track to control multiple sources. I can play/track/edit the source track, while using a monitor in the environment window to route the MIDI data to outboard analog synths to create hellishly large sounds.

The problem is, when I open the environment window, I'll see a few tracks placed to the left, which is where the monitor arrives when you summon a new one, and then there's about six acres of empty space that I have to scroll through to get to the tracks to which I want to connect the monitor. And you can't just drag the monitor to the edge and have it scroll for you.

Oh, no.

You have to drag it over a little bit, then scroll horizontally until it's at the edge, stop scrolling, grab it again, drag it to the other edge, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat.

I'm not joking when I say this can take several minutes.

Which is freaking absurd!

WHY in GOD'S name is there this HUGE EMPTY SPACE in this window?

Is there NO WAY to get everything in one place in the environment window? It just seems completely random and it's really making this very cool workaround a giant PITA.

Anyone?

Bueller?

I have noticed this and I fear the environment window is almost abandoned since the advent of the mixer window.

There are other issues, e.g. old style channel strip that don’t show stereo pan Etc.

I’m glad you posted this because it’s reminded me to look into it and see if I can find any workaround to the moving bug.

Upvote 0
Just had a quick look, thinking the workaround was to create a temporary duplicated object , then cut and paste the "rogue" object from where it is (miles away) to replce the selcted temprary object.

But no, this doesn't seem to work. :(

Hopefully someone has a solution/workaround

Upvote 0
I am afraid the only way to get the maintenance machinery moving a little is to send a lot of bug reports to Apple via Logic’s feedback function. Then, if we are lucky, one day in a not so far future a developer might get permission to look into the old code and try to fix those wandering channelstrips.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's a shame that the environment, the very heart of logic, has not seen the sort of development that we have seen in so many other parts of the program over the last 10-15 years. As Peter said, best thing to do is let Apple know:

Other than that, moving objects in the environment window is fiddly, but not impossible. I find that when click-drag lassooing a number of objects in order to re-position them, once the mouse reaches the edge of the window, you have to treat it very carefully, don't drag too fast. Not a great workaround, but it is in my experience possible...

kind regards

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am afraid the only way to get the maintenance machinery moving a little is to send a lot of bug reports to Apple via Logic’s feedback function. Then, if we are lucky, one day in a not so far future a developer might get permission to look into the old code and try to fix those wandering channelstrips.

:pig:

Upvote 0
I find that when click-drag lassooing a number of objects in order to re-postion them, once the mouse reaches the edge of the window, you have to treat it very carefully, don't drag to fast.

Yes that's the way it should be, but (for at least) is just now working.

In this screenshot here are some objects and cables.
original position.png

After cutting and pasting (supposedly back at the same place I get this (note the size of vertical scroll bar) those bits of the group of objects got pasted about two and a half miles south of where they should be:

Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 12.38.05.png

Upvote 0
Problem solved.

Options > Clean Up > Align Objects at least moved everything into the same spatial relation as the mix window, so getting the monitor to where it needed to be was a 3-4 move operation. Do-able.

Upvote 0
Back