Logic Pro 9 ES2 Macro knobs assignments and customization

Atlas

Logician
Is there a way to set which parameters the ten ES2 Macro Controls knobs will affect.
I know how to setup up which surface controls will control them (via the "Learn" feature).
I know that I can adjust differently the parameters each Macro Control knob is already assigned to affect (and save it as a specific new patch).
What I am looking for, is a way to assign different parameters (either add new ones, remove some, etc...)

Hi,
You can create a similar Macro control in the Environment so you can control multiple ES2 parameters using one knob etc. Cause some of the ES2 parameters exceed 128 and are known as 14bit ones it will be not possible to control them via the regular Logic "Fader" messages which are used for controlling the Logic channel strip, plugin parameters etc which use standard midi range 0-127.
So you can create a bunch of Environment knobs (using different CC# output definition) and cable them serially. You can pack these knobs into a Macro and cable that Macro to a Standard Instrument object which port is set to IAC. Now try to learn a few ES2 parameters to same knob by mouse tweaking the Environment Macro knob and the ES2 ones via the CA dialog etc. It is just a simple example. Later you can add additional transformers into the Macro so you can fine control each ES2 parameter - let's say you can reverse the direction, scale the ranges etc.
Regards,
A.G

Upvote 0
Is there a list somewhere detailing which parameters are the 14 bit ones vs 7-bit ones? Or is there another way to identify a 14-bit softsynth parameter?

And thanks, Tangra, for that quick rundown--actually quite a useful list of key steps involved! (years ago I tried writing a Max randomizer/snapshot app...never got past the proof-of-concept stage...but I recognize what Tangra is doing. Nice that the nrpn values don't have to be manually entered anymore...yeh those were the days)

Upvote 0
Tangra,

Another Thank You here as well. Your text description makes sense as I've been digging into the Len Sasso's (Swiftkick) Environment Toolkit.

With respect for the initial question of this thread, how does one control multiple parameters with one knob? You've explained the mechanics of how to set it up, but I'm wondering in simple terms how it actually works?

Upvote 0
You've explained the mechanics of how to set it up, but I'm wondering in simple terms how it actually works?
Hi guys,
I tried to show an example way of doing that though I knew that the Environment is a dark area for many Logic users for some reasons.
Well, I do not have any time to touch Logic lately (I'm too busy with my Kontakt KSP projects scripting), so I did my best to create a prototype Logic environment tool "Parameter Linker" (PL). Note, the PL can be used with all Logic plugins - Software Instruments, FX plugins etc - not only ES2 !
It is 8 part prototype. The Macro in non-protected so you can update the tool to 16 parts, create more "Learn" assignment small knobs per palette channel etc.
I have exported a short Demo Video Tutorial which is included in the download bundle below.
The PL can be imported to any existing project song via the environment window Options -> Import Environment -> Layer etc.
The PL can be cabled between the Physical Input and the Sequencer Input in the Click & Ports environment layer so you can use external controller (the upper left PL ON/OFF button must be ON) in this case.
Fig.1 (below) shows the "Learn" UI screenset.
Fig.2 (below) shows the "Performance View" UI screenset.
CC#110 controls the PL ON/OFF button in case you want to remote the PL.
The main "Linker" knobs 1-8 respond to CC#12 set to midi channels 1-8.
I did not have time to test the PL, so if you find any problems please report.
Regards,
A.G

PARAMETER LINKER v1.0 & QT VIDEO (18Mb) - DOWNLOAD

pl_learn.png

Fig.1​

pl_perfview.png

Fig.2​

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
I tried to show an example way of doing that though I knew that the Environment is a dark area for many Logic users for some reasons.
Well, I do not have any time to touch Logic lately (I'm too busy with my Kontakt KSP projects scripting), so I did my best to create a prototype Logic environment tool "Parameter Linker" (PL). Note, the PL can be used with all Logic plugins - Software Instruments, FX plugins etc - not only ES2 !
It is 8 part prototype. The Macro in non-protected so you can update the tool to 16 parts, create more "Learn" assignment small knobs per palette channel etc.
I have exported a short Demo Video Tutorial which is included in the download bundle below.
The PL can be imported to any existing project song via the environment window Options -> Import Environment -> Layer etc.
The PL can be cabled between the Physical Input and the Sequencer Input in the Click & Ports environment layer so you can use external controller (the upper left PL ON/OFF button must be ON) in this case.
Fig.1 (below) shows the "Learn" UI screenset.
Fig.2 (below) shows the "Performance View" UI screenset.
CC#110 controls the PL ON/OFF button in case you want to remote the PL.
The main "Linker" knobs 1-8 respond to CC#12 set to midi channels 1-8.
I did not have time to test the PL, so if you find any problems please report.
Regards,
A.G

PARAMETER LINKER v1.0 & QT VIDEO (18Mb) - DOWNLOAD

pl_learn.png

Fig.1​

pl_perfview.png

Fig.2​

Tangra,
This is incredible. Thank you so much.:thmbup:
I'm an Environment light-weight but I do recognize that the Environment is the core of Logic, and as such, it continues to make Logic the most powerful DAW for MIDI.

Your command of the Environment is truly impressive.

Upvote 0
Thanx Tangra!
Your expertise in the Environment domain is definitely indisputable!
Although providing a more than great alternative, I remain looking for an answer for my initial question:
Is there a way to set which parameters the ten ES2 Macro Controls knobs will affect?

Upvote 0
Hi Atlas,
To my opinion there in not a way to set which parameters the ten ES2 Macro Controls knobs will affect. It seems this is fixed, that's why I decided to offer a Macro alternative using the Environment. The good side is that you can use that Macro with any software plugin instrument or FX etc.
Regards,
A.G

Upvote 0
The PL template works as it was designed to, and the included video clearly explains how to "learn" instrument parameters.

Very cool.

Agains thanks:thmbup:

Upvote 0
Back