Logic Pro 9 export active comp?

yelemusic

Logician
Hi everyone, today after comping a take, I thought to myself how nice it would be to export all active bits in my comped track to a new track, without flattening the take. Reason for this is, that I'd like to keep the option to drag the parts open again, crossfade etc. By flattening all I get is the visible part of the take, since it is basically a new audio file.
So I thought the "export active comp" command should do just this.

And yes it does, with only a minor problem: I'd have to do every single region separately to get all my comped parts onto a new track. It won't do the entire track all at once.

Is this right? Am I missing something? Doesn't this limitation render the whole command useless, since the real time saver would be to export all at once.

Not sure if all this makes sense, but if there's a way to export ALL active comps at the same time to a new track, and I'm just missing something, maybe someone around here could point me in the right direction.

The limitations of not being able to cross fade, to drag open of comped regions etc is kinda annoying, so once I finished comping, I would like to treat the parts like normal regions (like the ones outside a folder), just like we did it the old fashioned long before we had folder tracks.

I sure appreciate any input here :)

Thanks, Y.

It seems like you've painted yourself into a corner by either creating, or cutting, multiple take folders on the same track. This really isn't necessary, given that it is easy to punch in and stop/start recording all within a single take folder.

I've never tried this, but what happens if you try and merge your multiple take folders into one, using the glue tool?

The whole take folder thing is basically "region based" , not track based. That's why the export (and other) functions apply uniquely to each take folder. There's no "expand per track" command. It's just not the way the take folders were designed.

Upvote 0
Hi Eli,
sorry for the late reply...

It seems like you've painted yourself into a corner by either creating, or cutting, multiple take folders on the same track. This really isn't necessary, given that it is easy to punch in and stop/start recording all within a single take folder.
I do sometimes loop-record parts of a song, which leaves me with a take folder region. I'm not a friend of punching in, because loop recording is so much easier and quicker

I've never tried this, but what happens if you try and merge your multiple take folders into one, using the glue tool?
I haven't tried this myself. My guess is that something like "bounce in place" might happen. But I will try it next time!

The whole take folder thing is basically "region based" , not track based. That's why the export (and other) functions apply uniquely to each take folder. There's no "expand per track" command. It's just not the way the take folders were designed.
Yes, that's right, yet there is a function "export active comp", which unfortunately only works with single regions (AFAIK).

I'm sure it would be an easy thing to implement into the program a function that exports all active comp regions onto a new track, without creating new files or cutting the regions so that they can't be edited anymore.
Now THAT would be a killer function!

Those comps are basically just snapshots of the take, so why not copying these snapshots onto the new track, so they appear exactly as if they were recorded onto that track?

There's no way of crossfading take folders into each other, but that's exactly what is needed sometimes, to remove glitches or funky transitions.
Now if logic creates a new region from the comped take, those new regions can't be dragged open...

Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
Back