Logic Pro (X) EXS 24 Samples location

Northside313

Logician
Hi I am trying to add new EXS 24 instruments to my library in Logic Pro X. Just had to replace my hard drive recently. However when I go to application support, there is no Logic folder visible therefore no where to put the samples. This is odd in my experience, no idea where to put my samples. There is a sampler instruments folder that appeared in my Logic project folder a while back, but there is only a couple of kits in there, don't even know where this folder came from, do I put my kits in there? Thank for any help.

An old installation of Logic would place samples here:
[Yourdrive]/Users/[yourname]/Library/Application Support/Logic/EXSamples

The instrument files (.exs files) would be here:
[Yourdrive]/Users/[yourname]/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments

Logic Pro X has created a new location, a folder called [Audio Music Apps]
This folder mirrors the old Logic Application Support folder (apparently by using a symbolic link).

So, the new location for samples:
[Yourdrive]/Users/[yourname]/Music/Audio Music Apps/EXSamples

For instrument files:
[Yourdrive]/Users/[yourname]/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments

Upvote 0
Ok I found out I had not yet launched Logic to get the initial sound library installed which of course took a while. After that I found the EXS 24 sampler instrument location appeared. Thanks

Upvote 0
Additional locations for "Factory" samples

An old installation of Logic would place samples here:
[Yourdrive]/Users/[yourname]/Library/Application Support/Logic/EXSamples

The instrument files (.exs files) would be here:
[Yourdrive]/Users/[yourname]/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments

Logic Pro X has created a new location, a folder called [Audio Music Apps]
This folder mirrors the old Logic Application Support folder (apparently by using a symbolic link).

So, the new location for samples:
[Yourdrive]/Users/[yourname]/Music/Audio Music Apps/EXSamples

For instrument files:
[Yourdrive]/Users/[yourname]/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments

To be clear: the above locations are for user-created instruments and samples.

1. Factory samples for Logic Pro X (also useable by GB) go in: Main library (not user)/Application support/Logic/EXS Factory Samples,
  2. Factory instruments for Logic Pro X (also useable by GB) go in: Main library (not user)/Application support/Logic/Sampler Instruments,
  3. Factory samples for GB (also useable by LPX) go in: Main library (not user)/Application support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files,
  4. Factory instruments for GB (also useable by LPX) go in: Main library (not user)/Application support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments.

This assumes you have not moved your samples to an alternate location. I'm pretty sure this was all done in order to weed out the faint of heart. :brkwl:

Upvote 0
I got a question along the same lines but a little different. I am looking for the audio sample files location for the Drum Machine designer. My goal is to create my own patch! Ex: Under the library there is a folder called "drum pieces", and it has individual drum patches (kick, snare, etc). I want to use my own (kicks,snares, etc) samples, but I can't find the file location for the samples. I can find the patch location however it seems these samples must be stored somewhere else because the audio is not stored within the patch consider the patch size is only 300 kb. Should be easy to duplicate the patch that is there, but edit the sample used. Would love to freak up my own samples using the smart controls within Drum Machine designer. Not sure how I would create the patches from scratch (really wouldn't want to), but would be killer to have my samples (as a patch) in the finder to chose from. Life would be simple by using the patches that are already there as a template, and just edit the sample in them them. I can do this all day with the esx24, and ultra beat, but would love to take advantage of the Drum Machine Designer controls.

Upvote 0
i've been wondering why my sounds for Kirk Hunter strings are no longer available to EXS24. I haven't had a need for them recently, but was wondering how I'd find them when I do need them.

Upvote 0
i've been wondering why my sounds for Kirk Hunter strings are no longer available to EXS24. I haven't had a need for them recently, but was wondering how I'd find them when I do need them.
Where are the Instrument and Samples located on your system?

Upvote 0
The Kirk Hunter Concert Strings instruments are here:
/Users/UserName/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments/Concert_Strings_2_Instruments_exs
The samples are on another external drive at the main directory.
This worked in Logic 9. I guess at some point I told Logic or EXS24 where to find the samples. Logic X can't see the instruments or the samples. I send a message to support but got back a rather dismissive reply that it was a Logic issue.

Any suggestions on how to get EXS24 to see these again would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
If the Instrument files were previously linked to the samples, then you can make an alias of the Instruments folder (CS2 in this case), and place it the address Colin pointed out above: [Yourdrive]/Users/[yourname]/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments

I tested this out two ways with files archived years ago to an external HD:
1. Kirk Hunter Diamond and CS2 (reduced in size from 100 GB to 11 GB for a small footprint on a MBP via Redmatica's ProManager:D), both inside a "KH Library" folder which contains Instruments folders, and a Samples folder. Alias' of the Instrument folders were placed as above. Start up Logic Pro X, insert the EXS24. The KH Diamond and CS2 instruments are available in Logic's library. The instruments load and sound as expected.

2. The "KH Library" folder was copied from the external HD to the second internal drive of my MBP. The previous alias deleted. New Instrument folder alias' placed with the same outcome.

EXS24%20Instrument%20folder%20alias.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the Instrument files were previously linked to the samples, then you can make an alias of the Instruments folder (CS2 in this case), and place it the address Colin pointed out above: [Yourdrive]/Users/[yourname]/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments
Not sure I understand what you mean by "previously linked". The instruments seemed to be able to find the samples, although I don't recall doing anything specific that would qualify as linking.

If I can keep the samples on an external drive, that would be preferable. It doesn't matter where the instrument files are -- they're not large.

If this won't work, is there a standard way to place these files that ensures it will work? Colin's post refers to "factory" files, which I assume are those that came with Logic.

Upvote 0
Not sure I understand what you mean by "previously linked". The instruments seemed to be able to find the samples, although I don't recall doing anything specific that would qualify as linking.
If the instruments are able to find to the samples then this is a non-issue for you.

If I can keep the samples on an external drive, that would be preferable. It doesn't matter where the instrument files are -- they're not large.
You can keep the samples where they are.

If this won't work, is there a standard way to place these files that ensures it will work? Colin's post refers to "factory" files, which I assume are those that came with Logic.
He was referring to User files.

You have nothing to lose by making an alias of your instruments folder and placing it in the User/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments folder. If that works, then you can copy the Instrument folder from it's current location to the Sampler Instruments folder, if you like.

Upvote 0

EXS instrument files (.exs) contain info that link the particular instrument to the samples. These references are written into the .exs files themselves.

Problems can arise when you have 3rd party instruments, because the references (links) might refer to a hard drive on the seller's computer. For example, a set of sampler files bought from BlahBlah Inc might have references/links to samples stored on a drive named "BlahBlah sample disk". Because you don't have a drive with the same name, when you load one of their instruments, EXS24 looks for the samples on your system and then loads them if found.

Logic used to have a thing called Project Manager which could analyse all your EXS instruments, search for samples and then rewrite the references or re-link the .exs files to the samples. Project Manager was very slow and doesn't exist anymore. A company called Redmatica sold an app called EXSManager that did the re-linking process and it was extremely fast and efficient. They also had an app that could create and edit samples (Keymap Pro) as well as one that could sample from hardware synths (Autosampler). Redmatica was bought out by Apple and we're still waiting to see some EXSManager and Keymap features in Logic. MainStage has incorporated Autosampler but not Logic.

Whew!! History lesson over......

Upvote 0
Back