Logic Pro 9 EXS24 - Studio Horns (garageband)

qrt

Logician
On the Studio Horns samples,

I noticed (out of curiosity) that when you have the mod wheel up the sounds are staccato sounding (in a sense) and when the mod wheel is down they have long sustains. Is this hardwired in the EXS24 to do this, as there isn't anything going on in the modulation section (apart from Velocity > Flt Cutoff).

Thanks

Open the EXS 24 editor. In Group mode, make sure Select Group By... is visible (check it on in the local View menu).

What do you see?

Upvote 0
Exactly what I see is.....

Type

Everything in this column says Group

Then in the Group itself

Group

Brass TTS Long 1
Brass TTS Short 3

Brass TTS Falls 2
Brass TTS Sforz 2
Brass TTS Short 1
Brass TTS Short 2
Brass TTS Long 2

Brass TTS Falls 1
Brass TTS Sforz 1
Brass TTS Falls 3
Brass TTS Sforz 3

Nothing else then those. Would the mod wheel have something in relation to them?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I don't have that particular GB instrument on my system possibly due to a custom (selective) install vs installing everything.

Is there a second Select Group By (2) to the right of the one with Group you mentioned? If so, is Type set to control?

I didn't mean to send you on a wild goose chase. Some instruments are set up to Select Group By Type: Controller, No. 1 (which is the mod wheel).

Changes in the mod wheel position will select different articulation groups so that you can "breathe" realism into your MIDI performance using one track vs a different track per articulation.

Upvote 0
I don't have that particular GB instrument on my system possibly due to a custom (selective) install vs installing everything.

Is there a second Select Group By (2) to the right of the one with Group you mentioned? If so, is Type set to control?

I didn't mean to send you on a wild goose chase. Some instruments are set up to Select Group By Type: Controller, No. 1 (which is the mod wheel).

Changes in the mod wheel position will select different articulation groups so that you can "breathe" realism into your MIDI performance using one track vs a different track per articulation.

From what I can see there is only one Select Group By section, with group under type. That's with View All selected under groups.

Though, none with controller Type: Controller, No. 1.

That's what I'm not sure about, as the mod wheel hasn't been designated here and it still affects the sound (I could be wrong).

Cheers

Upvote 0
At the far left of the EXS24 interface, below the name exs/24 ll is an area labeled Xfade which allows you to crossfade between samples (zones) using the Mod Wheel. This is the answer to your original question.

Read about Crossfade parameters in the "Adjusting EXS24 mkll Global Parameters" chapter of the LS Instruments Help documentation.

To understand what I was initially getting at, open the EXS24 library>09 Orchestral>02 Brass > Trumpets. Open the EXS24 editor, and look at Select Group By...

For kicks, to see a variation, open Full Brass from the same 02 Brass folder.

Cheers.

I just reinstalled of EXS24/GB instruments and still don't have one named Studio Horns???

Upvote 0
Back