Logic Pro 9 Extra hidden track in one region?

Edgold

Logician
:brkwl:This has become common and annoying enough that I have to bring up the topic:

A long green line in the piano roll as well as unwanted rests in the notations (score) window at the same time as notes show something hidden.

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks in advance!

It looks like you have a second overlapping region in the arrange Window that is offset from the bar line slightly. The solution would be to delete that overlapping region, assuming it doesn't contain any needed content. If it does, merge them together so there is only one region.

Upvote 0
Thanks Eli,

I realized a bit earlier about the merge which worked fine.

My only question is whether there is an unmerge feature which allows one to see the overlap in advance. I suspect not as I can't find it.

Upvote 0
Hi Ed,

I think you re asking two separate questions here:

1. Is there an un-merge feature? The answer is no, unless you use the Undo history.

2. Can you see overlapping regions in the Arrange Window? Yes, you can. Click on the region(s)in the area where they overlap and when you find the sweet spot (it's a bit of trial and error) one will come to the front and the other will move to the back. You can also usually see a dotted line where the overlap begins or ends as a visual cue that there is a hidden overlapping region underneath what you see.

Upvote 0
You might also try Track>New for Overlapped Regions. It eliminates the need for you to hunt them down. It is not based on selection - it affects any track that has overlapping regions on it.

Upvote 0
:)Thank you Doug! Exactly what I was looking for! It separates any overlapped tracks into their components making it easy to deal with by merging or deleting one.

Ed

Upvote 0
Good call! I never use that command, and didn't think of it. I generally try and avoid overlapped regions, unless it's just for a beat or two because of a pickup.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I try to avoid them too. But I used that command today. I brought a PT session of a trio recording into Logic. Brought each instrument in by track (guitar mic, guitar direct, etc), placed them on one track, used the Move Region to Original Record Position command and then used the New for Overlapped Regions command.

Everything worked great with a few caveats. Drag Mode was set to Overlap, had to set SMPTE offset to 00:00:00:00 to match the PT session, and the tracks created for the overlapping regions were "clones": I had to create unique tracks and move the regions.

Anyway, it all went very quickly all things considered. Now the editing......

Upvote 0
Back