Logic Pro 9 FCP XML to LOGIC PRO

Hi Folks,

Is anyone using FCP's XML format to edit audio in Logic Pro with any success?

I've tried a couple of tests and the volume automation is completely screwed up when imported. I guess it might be useful if choosing to start the mix from scratch though.

I'm having success transferring material between FCP and Sound Track Pro, so I may need to accept that this is the better methodology for now.

Would appreciate hearing your experiences and any suggestions.

Hi Folks,

Is anyone using FCP's XML format to edit audio in Logic Pro with any success?

Hi DeeJay Schmeejay- I actually bought Cubase 5 because the Netherlands steinberg site said in an email response that Cubase 5 could open large scores without distortion-well that was a waste of €556, and I get no support because they don't like customers who complain. My complaint was that Cubase was using music xml 1.1, and in Finale the xml export/import is music xml 2,so I sent them a screenshot of the window that appeared the first time I tried to import xml:"Failed to Parse". I use MIDI files and they, believe it or not , are better than xml1.1. The use by Apple of the term FCP XML is misleading, it is a form of file ONLY for FCP, Apple should sue them.

I've tried a couple of tests and the volume automation is completely screwed up when imported. I guess it might be useful if choosing to start the mix from scratch though.

I can't post a list of what xml1.1 doesn't do, but I can say look in the Cubase 5 Operation Manual at page 621, you may download a PDF of the Manual at steinberg.net.de, you don't even have to make an"account" first, it'sa mystery to me why they leave that open, considering the stuff in there on the forum

I'm having success transferring material between FCP and Sound Track Pro, so I may need to accept that this is the better methodology for now.

IF you have found a way to transfer the FCP files to soundtrack Pro then be happy! I have found no use for transferring files with xml.

Would appreciate hearing your experiences and any suggestions.
To be honest-I only went from Logic EXpress8 to Logic Pro 9 because I hoped there would be some way to use xml file transfer,so I am happy to hear you have success using FCP XML. If you use SoundTrackPro there are other[archaic] ways to transfer audio, such as OMF and AAF, as far as I know these will not transfer the graphics[the score] only the bounced audio, Wiki has a good history article about these file types.Good Luck and don't give up-there is a good chance that if you simply subscribe to this thread a very well informed user will have found a way to do what you need to accomplish.

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

Cyril, in regard to your audio being out of sync, all I can say is that Ive used OMF a few times in the past and it was like entering a lottery to see if all your clips would remain in sync. So it's no surprise to hear that XML is flakey as well. I suspect that a successful transfer may be affected by factors such as the complexity of the FCP sequence and the video codec used. I'm now using XDCAM EX codec with the JVC camera I own, and that seems to work okay thus far. But in the past when using DV codec I sometimes noticed that the footage wasn't captured from tape at a true 48kHz. It would be something like 47.97kHz. I suspect this may have played havoc with the OMF transfer.

There have been a number of people who have not been happy with the audio automation. One simple problem is FCP goes up to a +12 dB - doesn't translate well.....