Logic Pro X files randomly changed to unreadable 8-bit

doofus

Logician
well, this just happened to me today. A 24 bit vocal file was suddenly appearing as an unreadable 8-bit file, after closing the project and reopening a short time later. Fortunately, it was a duplicate I was working with, so I didn't lose the original.

I've been browsing some of the threads in various forums about this, and some are pointing fingers at the use of FAT formatted hard drives, but that wasn't the case for me. However, it might be worth pointing out that I was working on a project that was in my Dropbox folder (on my computer). I don't know if this is relevant or not (I've done this many times without any issues) but I figured I'd mention it. Could it be that Dropbox somehow mangled the files? Over the years I've experienced some random, strange behavior from that app...

I'm running Logic 10.3.3 on an old Mac Pro w/El Capitan.

it's kind of hard to believe this is a thing...at least it wasn't terminal, in my case, but it's pretty scary to think that it happpened at all. Has anyone out there tried the Dave Hoffman recovery tool for this occurrence?

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
You are right, FAT format is to be avoided when working with Logic. Concerning possible issues with files in your dropbox folder, I would suggest testing for a while with some files or projects in your dropbox folder, and some in another audio folder, oreferably on a seperate drive for audio. If you keep having issues with the dropbox files, that may indicate that dropbox is indeed causing some problem.
Is your dropbox folder on your system volume, and is that a rotating HD? It was always good advice to get logic projects off your system drive an onto a dedicated seperate drive. That may not be quite as important using SSDs or apple flash storage, but if you are using an old Mac Pro, perhaps your system drive is indeed an older HD?

kind regards

Mark

Pete Thomas

Administrator
Staff member
Fortunately, it was a duplicate I was working with, so I didn't lose the original.
This is good news.

And just to reiterate what we often say, everyone who is serious about digital recording must be well backed. I have a drive that I back up to manually via Super Duper, a Time machine drive and a cloud backup on Crashplan.

TM and Crashplan will have historic nackups which is essential in case you accidentally backed up an already corrupted file - ouch!

doofus

Logician
You are right, FAT format is to be avoided when working with Logic. Concerning possible issues with files in your dropbox folder, I would suggest testing for a while with some files or projects in your dropbox folder, and some in another audio folder, oreferably on a seperate drive for audio. If you keep having issues with the dropbox files, that may indicate that dropbox is indeed causing some problem.
Is your dropbox folder on your system volume, and is that a rotating HD? It was always good advice to get logic projects off your system drive an onto a dedicated seperate drive. That may not be quite as important using SSDs or apple flash storage, but if you are using an old Mac Pro, perhaps your system drive is indeed an older HD?

kind regards

Mark
my Dropbox folder is on my system volume, and it is a rotating HD. Over the years, I've nearly always worked on Logic projects on external drives, but in this instance, because it was an active collaboration, and in the interest of saving time, I'd decided to just work out of the Dropbox folder. Guess it showed me, huh?