Logic Pro 8 Filtering Just Note Data

PMedia

Logician
I have an audio plug-in placed as an input in an instrument track (so I can control it via midi), but note data played from the controller changes a parameter I don't want to change. Is there a way to filter just the note data from the midi stream while allowing the CC data to flow to the plugin? Thanks for any help.

Mike

I have an audio plug-in placed as an input in an instrument track (so I can control it via midi), but note data played from the controller changes a parameter I don't want to change. Is there a way to filter just the note data from the midi stream while allowing the CC data to flow to the plugin? Thanks for any help.

Not quite sure what you mean by audio plugin as an input object, but I think a transformer will do what you want. In the environment create a new transformer, cable it serially to whatever you want and set it filter notes

Attachments

• transformer.jpg
    transformer.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0
Your CC data work as expected? Logic uses normally an internal message type called "Fader". If you have set it to CC you have a limited number range. Might be too small for some plugins.

Anyway, you can filter and translate all message types in the Logic environment. Look for the "transformer" object. You cable it between the physical input and the sequencer input. Configure it to your needs. The dropdown menu at the top determines basic behavior, the upper field row sets the criteria for incoming data, the lower row says what should happen on the output. Consult the Logic manual for detailed information.

Edit: Pete was faster ;-)

Upvote 0
Thanks Pete and Peter, the transformer object looks like a very powerful way to work with the midi stream - I'll be checking it out further. Pete, I placed the plugin on an instrument track, not as an insert, but in the track's input (same place a VI would go). That's the only way I was able to get my controller's cc data directly to the plug in. Peter, I'll check out the "fader message" method, it sounds like it might be a better way to go. Anyway, I did figure out a "less elegant" way of filtering out note data . . . by setting the track's velocity range to 0 - 0! It works! LOL!!

I'm liking Logic so far and I'm happy to have found this forum. Thanks again.

Mike

Upvote 0
Back