Logic Pro (X) First note latency

Logician
When I press record, the first note I play on a virtual instrument is almost always delayed, no matter how long I wait after pressing record. After stopping playback, I trigger a note on the keyboard and once again, the first note I play is either unheard or only partially heard. What is causing this and how do I get around it? I use a 2012 Mac mini quadcore server with 16gb ram, 1 internal 480gb ssd and 1 internal 1tb sshd. Almost all virtual instruments are being hosted in vienna ensemble pro 5 with no external slave computer. My buffer setting in Logic Pro x is 512.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

512 is quite a large buffer setting. Try something smaller. And using an external slave computer _will_ add latency, for sure!

Upvote 0
VE Pro doesn't add any noticeable latency. And using Low Latency mode in Logic, the buffer is less important. I get the same problem here. The first note is late, and all other notes are fine.

Upvote 0
The only time I experience this sort of "first note" latency is when I have two (or more) software instrument tracks armed for recording. I do this when I want to either record or "capture last take" and have an alias automatically created on the additionally armed tracks.

Upvote 0
VE Pro doesn't add any noticeable latency. And using Low Latency mode in Logic, the buffer is less important. I get the same problem here. The first note is late, and all other notes are fine.

How did you solve the problem? If you haven't solved it, how are you currently trying to deal with it?

Upvote 0
Back