Logic Pro (X) Flatten Track Stack

Jay Denson

Logician
Flatten Strack Stack

I make a summing track stack - let's say it makes Sum 1

Then I flatten it (which I thought was deleting the stack and reverting the constituent tracks to their original state)

Sum 1 disappears from the track list in Arrange window

But I still have Sum 1 in the Mixer window except Sum 1 has now moved to the end near the Output fader. And it still controls the tracks.

Does anyone know why this happens?

What I want is a consistent way to undo a track stack if I decide I don't want it.

Can anyone help?

TIA Jay

The manual says:

When you flatten a summing stack, the audio subgrouping is retained, unless there is no audio processing on the main track aux (no plug-ins, volume fader set at 0 dB, Pan/Balance set to neutral, and no automation data). In this case, all subtracks (or their audio subgroups) are routed to the Stereo (or Surround) Main output, and the main track Aux is deleted.

Sorry to say it does not. It does what I said in my earlier post. And then I have to re-assign the original tracks to the stereo bus before I can delete the summing bus (which has moved to the end by the output fader).

What I want is a consistent way to undo a track stack if I decide I don't want it. And if I have made changes in the bus - fader or plugins, etc - I'd like a prompt asking do I want to delete it anyway or not?

I hope I am making sense.

TIA Jay

Upvote 0
The manual says:

When you flatten a summing stack, the audio subgrouping is retained, unless there is no audio processing on the main track aux (no plug-ins, volume fader set at 0 dB, Pan/Balance set to neutral, and no automation data). In this case, all subtracks (or their audio subgroups) are routed to the Stereo (or Surround) Main output, and the main track Aux is deleted.

Sorry to say it does not.
TIA Jay

Hi Jay,

I just checked, and you're right. This function doesn't seem to be working properly. It seems like a bug. I never noticed it before; it may have only been introduced in one of the sub releases?

Hopefully it will get fixed soon. Let's all file a bug report with Apple...

Upvote 0
Hi Eli

How do I submit a bug report?

Jay

From directly within Logic. Go to the Logic Pro X menu in the upper left corner. Sixth item down, right under the "download additional content" function. Choose "provide Logic pro feedback". A web page will open up with the form for all the details.

Upvote 0
cyrukoch

I don't know if they have fixed the problem (Logic Pro X 10.0.7) but I noticed after studying this post that I had grouped my drums before I made a stack of them and when I tried to flatten my stack I had the results described in the original post.

After I removed the grouping (which, as mentioned, was "under" the stack) the stack flattened as it was supposed to.

The other strange thing was that when I deleted Sum in the mixer, I couldn't reassign the ouputs of the original tracks which were all listed as no output.

Cyrus Koch

Upvote 0
Back