Logic Pro X Flattening thread kills Instrument track

peterlemer

Logician
This Project has 2 audio tracks and one instrument track.

It came from a much larger project where I have stripped out all unused regions and unused tracks.

I don't know why the instrument track is a stack containg itself and the 2 audio tracks, but when I flatten the stack the instrument track disappears.

Any ideas as to how to flatten the stack without losing the instrument track?
Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 17.39.35.png
Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 18.08.29.png

fuzzfilth

Logician
All I see is a summing stack with notes on it, no instrument. And two vocal tracks inside that stack, one processed, one muted. You can't play back the notes on the stack, right ? Not unless you lay an actual instrument track into that stack. How does it look like in the source project ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peterlemer

Logician
Hi Fuzzfilth, the instrument track plugin is Ivory .it shows on the screenshot) and it plays! :)
Good idea of yours to go back to the source project. (attached) I might parse this item again, looks like some other game was going on as I cleaned out unwanted stuff. In this screenshot, the item is the first marker on the left. One Ivory, two audio, with one of those muted
Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 21.52.55.png

Upvote 0

fuzzfilth

Logician
Still, I see only the stack, which is an Aux, not an Instrument, even if it's named Ivory. There is no level indication so I can't tell if it plays or not. You have cut off the left border of that track headers in the second screenshot, so I can't tell what we're looking at there. Also, I don't think Ivory and the vocal tracks are related in the source project. Or are they ?

Upvote 0

peterlemer

Logician
Hi Fuzzfilth. The track named 'Ivory' was an instrument track prior to reduction and it does indeed play in the stack. It doesn;t play once I've flattened the stack.
Following your idea, I've gone back to the original and reduced it again.
I did this carefully and noticed that the 2 audio tracks were within a vocal stack. After removing all unwanted regions I then sorted tracks by wanted/unwanted , and flattened the audio stack /before/ deleting unwanted tracks. This gave me 3 seperate tracks, 2 audio and the one Ivory. all plays well, so thanks

It tells me that the action of deleting unused tracks put the audio stack within the instrument stack ( which didn't exist before), which is a bug. I avoided this by flattening the audio stack /before/ deleting unused.

Upvote 0

fuzzfilth

Logician
which is a bug
I rarely agree to this statement, however, this time I do. It's extra weird in that the first pic shows an Input button, which neither an Instrument, nor a Summing Stack nor a Folder Stack nor a regular Folder has.

Good you have it solved, though.

Upvote 0