Logic Pro 9 Freeze file conversion?

JGlover

Logician
My buddy told me that freeze files are converted to AAC... I have actually printed while files are frozen. Is this true?

You can't open them in Logic either. IF you wanted to access them, you could do a bit rate conversion using Quicktime or maybe Peak lite...

George Leger III

Upvote 0
You can't open them in Logic either.

That's true, but just to be clear, Logic can't open any 32-bit files. Not that you were suggesting that any others could be, just because of your phrasing I didn't want the original poster thinking that there's some unique reason that freeze files can't be opened, but other 32-bit files can be.

The thing is, there's no reason to open freeze files in Logic. Back in Logic 6, it was not possible to export multiple tracks as 24-bit or 16-bit tracks, nor was it possible to bounce in place, so you could chose a lower bit-rate for freezing and use that as a "hack" for importing tracks. Since Logic 9 offers both full track export and bounce in place, there is no need for that, and freeze files can always operate at the highest bit-rate possible.

That's not to say that it wouldn't be nice to save/open 32-bit files in Logic; but if I could, I'd still never use it for freeze files.

Orren

Upvote 0
Thanks George, and good to know about soundtrack pro..

btw. not sure if this needs to be a new thread, but if you varispeed(pitch & speed) a whole session up or down does that alter any conversion? I love the feature to add a little energy at the end of a mix, but it sounds a bit "wanting" sonically compared to protools vso. I am not saying that I like protools better at all. Logic's varispeed is still passible as long as you don't push it far, like any vso, just wondering what's happening under the hood.

That's not to say that it wouldn't be nice to save/open 32-bit files in Logic; but if I could, I'd still never use it for freeze files.

Orren

I agree..

Thanks for all your post. I am new to the group... but not to logic. I love logic 9!

John

Upvote 0
Back