Logic Pro X Freshly recorded audio regions locked

sonnykeyes

Logician
I've been using Logic since it was Notator, so I like to think I know how to use it, but I've recently run into a recurring problem with new audio regions: I'll record a vocal track, then find that it's quite quiet so I go to Normalize and find that the top part of the Functions menu in Track view is greyed out. The region is not locked, (lock icon displays as open) and I have all the required permissions when I look at the file in the Finder. I have been using Flex-pitch on the track, but switching it off doesn't help. Anyone know how I can regain access to the Functions in the audio editor?

fuzzfilth

Logician
There are several reasons why a file appears to be locked when it shouldn't. AIF files are for some reason more susceptible to this, so converting that file to WAV might help, as does just generally working with WAV. Flex can also contribute to this, it's still unclear whether switching it off is sufficient to unlock a file.

Aside all this, you are certainly aware of the Normalize Gain command which is non-destructive, has various metering modes, a freely adjustable ceiling and works on batches of Regions, right ?

Upvote 0

sonnykeyes

Logician
I love that the answer is more like a biological analysis than a simple tech problem!
I mean, I think I'd like it better if it turned out I just had to unclick some arcane preference somewhere, but your explanation matches my experience, and even gives me a strategy!
Aside all this, you are certainly aware of the Normalize Gain command which is non-destructive, has various metering modes, a freely adjustable ceiling and works on batches of Regions, right ?
That would solve the problem nicely. Uh...looks like I have some reading to do.
Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

fuzzfilth

Logician
I like to think I know how to use it
I do as well, but that's generally a false sense of security which keeps us trotting in circles in the old rut all the while four lane highways are built around us without us noticing.

Upvote 0