Garritan PO on MacBookPro internal drive ok?

CSeye

Logician
For the purpose of sketching ideas, would GPO work well on the internal drive (7200 rpm) in my i5 MacBook Pro?

I have Kirk Hunter libraries on an external hd for the MBP, and an internal hd in my Mac Pro.

Also have templates set up with the supplied EXS 24 instruments which work great for sketching ideas with my portable setup.

Any thoughts on this?

Hi CSeye - I think it's really a question of enough hard drive free space to install and how much you push your MBP (60 tracks vs 3, for example). Also, if you create a new GPO instance per instrument, you'll let Logic process over the multiple cores. If you load up a multi with 16 instruments, that's all on one processor.

Hi Doug,

Regarding hd space, no issue there as I always back up projects in order to have a wide open work space.

In terms of number of tracks, generally no more than 34.

The need to have audio files and samples on their own respective drives is something I've always accommodated. But I'm spending a lot more time with the very mobile MBP which handles my audio or graphics projects very efficiently.

Thank you for pointing out the need to spread out the cpu load by using an instance per instrument vs. one loaded instance. :thmbup:

GPO4 looks like it's gonna be a good fit for my intended use.

Best regards,

WV

It's a good program, especially for the price point. I think you'll enjoy it and it should work fine. And your old buddies Freeze Track and BIP will help if you get in a little too deep for the CPU. :)

I appreciate your appreciation - just afraid I tell you things you already know. Don't want to lecture on. Now, get busy and make some music!

Back