Giga Lives!

Good news. But being me, I just wanted to talk about the first line of the press release :)

"TEAC is the world leader in recording technology and started the project studio revolution."

I don't believe the first part of the statement, and I query the second. Did TEAC start any kind of studio recording revolution? I accept I may just not know about it, not having lived as long as some folks here, but I'm gonna take a punt it's not true either. When I think of TEAC I think mostly of their cheap VCRs and blank tapes.

Good news. But being me, I just wanted to talk about the first line of the press release :)

"TEAC is the world leader in recording technology and started the project studio revolution."

I don't believe the first part of the statement, and I query the second. Did TEAC start any kind of studio recording revolution? I accept I may just not know about it, not having lived as long as some folks here, but I'm gonna take a punt it's not true either. When I think of TEAC I think mostly of their cheap VCRs and blank tapes.
I don't know if you would say they are the leader in recording technology but they did have a lot of firsts. One of them being the A-3340 4 track reel to reel
(sound on sound) tape deck. It was the first piece of "professional" recording gear I owned. We recorded several sessions that were used on both PBS and NPR and a couple of early albums using the 3340 so I'd say Teac did have a big hand in the "project studio revolution".

Also, Teac/Tascam developed the "Portastudio" cassette concept that was widely copied. I had a Teac A-3340 in the mid-late seventies, it wasn't long after that the first Portastudios came out.

As for recording technology, Gigastudio with it's real-time disk streaming was way ahead of the curve, it's still a viable format years later, and apparently.... not dead yet.

Howard