Logic Pro 9 GM for EXS24

chalkncheese

Logician
Hi

I am trying to recreate a GM set after getting nowhere with NI who initially cklaimed I could use Bandstand samples then retracted what they said.

Has anyone done this with Banstand samples or perhaps made up a GM template for use with EXS24 ?

You can explore use of the Apple DSL Music Device which you already have.
Tangra graciously offered this to LUG: http://www.logic-users-group.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35137&postcount=4

Here's a useful video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some other options to consider:
1. With GM patch name list in hand:http://www.midi.org/techspecs/gm1sound.php
create an EXS 24 GM folder in your user Library, then open and save with appropriate names and sequential #'s to this folder, the factory instruments that fit the bill. A bit tedious, but looks to be a more productive process than trying to convert ( or manually create) NI Bandstand to EXS 24 format.

2. HALion Sonic has a great sounding GM sound bank. Just enter GM into the search box in lower part of the Media Bay and it brings up the entire bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thanks to CSeye for pointing my Apple DSL Music Device Logic Template!
By the way I had a look at the youtube video link and may say that it is a fan amateur one regarding the Environment setup... Why ? There are a few major mistakes which may cause troubles. The most important one is that you can not use single DSL Music Device instance as a Multitimbral instance. The reason are CC7 Volume and CC10 Pan which will affect the main channel strip!
It is known that the GM files are full with CC7 & 10 messages which are essential for the part level and pan control.
Apart of my Template posted above there is one more workaround which can use single DSL Music Device instance where the DSL Music Device is loaded as a Multichannel Instrument (I have not tried that yet but will). In this scenario you can make another Environment setup which splits out CC7 & 10 via Channel splitter to sixteen Aux channels and control their Level & Pan separately. If I have time I'll post such template soon.
Regards,
A.G

EDIT: I just tried out my second idea about the Multichannel Instrument and 16 Aux Lev/Pan control but the Apple DSL Music Device can be loaded as (2 Stereo) Multichannel instrument only so the trick is invalid. For now my original GM Template is the only way to use the Apple DSL Music Device properly. Take easy - the multi instance usage works as aliases and spreads the CPU better according to the Logic multicore channel strip laws.

Upvote 0
EDIT: I just tried out my second idea about the Multichannel Instrument and 16 Aux Lev/Pan control but the Apple DSL Music Device can be loaded as (2 Stereo) Multichannel instrument only so the trick is invalid. For now my original GM Template is the only way to use the Apple DSL Music Device properly. Take easy - the multi instance usage works as aliases and spreads the CPU better according to the Logic multicore channel strip laws.

Tangra,

Thank you for checking into this. It would be handy to have a built-in GM device that is easy to use. Then again, in Logic, it's sort of a non-issue given the wide range of factory instruments.

Best regards,

Wally

Upvote 0
Then again, in Logic, it's sort of a non-issue given the wide range of factory instruments.
Hi Wally,
I agree that there is a wide range of factory instruments in Logic, but it is a FAQ which is posted from many users who want to use or edit some existing SMF. There is no flexible method to use the Logic "Mega" library and recall the proper GM patches via Program Change etc. Apple have to think about some kind of a Multitimbral Software Instrument like the Steinberg HALion Sonic and have to change the Channel Strip Level/Pan behavior or update it to pass CC7 & CC10 without affecting the ChannelStrip level/pan etc.

Upvote 0
There is no flexible method to use the Logic "Mega" library and recall the proper GM patches via Program Change etc. Apple have to think about some kind of a Multitimbral Software Instrument like the Steinberg HALion Sonic and have to change the Channel Strip Level/Pan behavior or update it to pass CC7 & CC10 without affecting the ChannelStrip level/pan etc.

Either that, or it's a matter of one instrument per track vs multi-timbral, which is what the EXS 24 is all about.

Thanks again:thmbup:

Upvote 0
Many thanks to CSeye and Tangra here. Interesting conversation, I wonder if Apple picks these things up and perhaps will address in the eagerly awaited Logic X!

Upvote 0
Back