Logic Pro X Go to position changed since Catalina

musiqman

Logician
Go to position always allowed me to select it (via my key command) and type in the bar/beat number. Now I must select "new" before I'm allowed to insert the number. Is there a way to get it to automatically select new so I can just type the number as soon as I select go to as it has done since early days? I notice a blue highlight around the "new" numbers however the numbers don't turn blue and editable until it is selected either by a mouse click or the tab key. This is a new extra step (frustrating)

CSeye

Logician
macOS 10.15.2/LPX 10.4.8 - the numbers are pre-selected when the Go to Postion window is opened with via key command (/ under the ?). I'm able to type in the numbers without having to select anything first.

What version of LPX do you have? Catalina? Does this happen in all projects new and old? Does a Restart change the behavior? I'm not asking you to actually respond, rather to consider aspects of your system that may be causing the annoyance.

musiqman

Logician
Thanks for your response. Yes I have considered all those questions. restart, other projects, using 10.15.3 Catalina using 10.4.8 LPX. This is obviously a glitch which happened immediately following upgrading to Catalina. I'm going to attach the 2 images. One when I first hit "/ ". The other when I select either with the mouse or tab key. Notice the outline in blue and the full color blue difference between the two.
hit key command.png
after selection.png

CSeye

Logician
Some issues seem to impact some systems but not others. When I click "/", the window opens as in your second image with numbers preselected.

I'd report this to Apple and include your screen shots. (Logic menu>Provide Logic Pro Feedback)

musiqman

Logician
Some issues seem to impact some systems but not others. When I click "/", the window opens as in your second image with numbers preselected.

I'd report this to Apple and include your screen shots. (Logic menu>Provide Logic Pro Feedback)
Thanks. I did report to Apple but as yet no response. If they resolve this I will post their reply. I have been using Logic since it was Emagic in '96 and has always worked up til now.

musiqman

Logician
I have called Apple and they walked me through a new user account in which "go to position" works perfectly. So I went back to mine and disabled ALL third party plug-ins. In fact I went so far as to remove them from the components folder inside the Plug-ins folder inside the Audio folder inside the Library folder. Restarted and still the go to position does not work correctly. Any suggestions?

CSeye

Logician
This is a frustrating situation for sure, but I don't think tinkering with your main account is going to change anything.
For reason's unknown, you main user account may be corrupt.

I would consider moving all files to the new user account. There's lot of information out there on how to do this.
You should be able to access your plug-ins from the new user account.
Once everything is setup, working, and available in the new user account, I would make it the administrative account and just move on.

Last edited:

musiqman

Logician
Thank you CSeye.
It was the right decision to create a new user account. Moving pains aside, it resolved the problems. I have also had other annoying issues in Logic that were probably related and probably will be resolved as well.
One note to all. If you are a heavily invested Logic user with plug-ins from other companies DO NOT update to Catalina yet. (3/18/20) It's not supported entirely. I never stay up to date. I broke my own rule. Stay at least one OS back.

CSeye

Logician
It's good to hear that all went well.

You're right about holding off on the update to Catalina.

In my case, moving towards a more limited set of tools, the test of Catalina on a separate HD yielded compatibility with the most important applications. It's been stable and reliable here as far as I can tell.

Cheers!

musiqman

Logician
Yes. I can also report that using my programs and 3rd party plugins have shown to be pretty stable fortunately. Best advice: If it ain't broke don't fix it. Especially in the middle of a project. However I can tell you that these plugins are working for me in Catalina 10.15.3 on a late 2015 iMac: Amplesound, Audio Modeling, Ceremony, East West, Native Instruments* (I have not tested all my N.I. plugs), Parallax-audio, Spectrasonics, Spitfire Audio, Toontrack, and Waves. The only issue I had was with Universal Audio even after the brand new update, however they walked me through a solid fix.

Last edited: