Hardware/system specs

Wahwah*

Hi guys, I'm a long term Logic user looking to maybe jump over to MAC hardware.

I'm thinking about getting either a macbook pro or an imac and saving a little bit of money by grabbing a used copy of logic 8.

I'll be using the mac for fairly sample intensive orchestral compositions and likely some more rocky multitracked songs with programmed drums.

I'd expect to be using something like 16 tracks of MIDI-triggered orchestral sounds with not much going on in the mixer aside from some end stage compression or for audio work something like a dozen tracks with compressor and eq on each as well as some effects and something like DFH running. Occasionally add 7 tracks of audio for real drums to that.

I can pretty much do this on my pc now (with fingers crossed) and as such portability is what I'd like to gain with a mbp. What I want to know is if the mbp or imac are (comfortably) up to the job and if there are any pitfalls in making the switch.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

You can take a MacBook Pro or an iMac, whichever you prefer. Both meet your requirements. If you buy a used machine, get sure that it is an Intel Core 2 Duo. The number "2" is important, it says that the processors are 64-Bit ready. Get 4 GB RAM, this works remarkable better than 2 GB.

Logic 8 and 9 want a big screen. Be prepared to add a big second monitor to a MacBook Pro (you can do that later of course). A second monitor is always good, I am not sure yet if the newer iMac supports that. I know only the older G5 iMacs which can only mirror the main monitor.

And you should have at least one external disk. From OSX 10.5 on (called Leopard), you have TimeMachine, a reliable, comfortable and automatic backup system. You may want another disk for your Logic songs and samples.

Thanks for your reply Peter, much appreciated.

I'd already been thinking about using the mac with dual display, I have a 20" monitor for my PC and thought I might use that for the Arrange page and the laptop's screen for the mixer or something like that.

I've got a Western Digital MyBook Pro (precursor to the Studio range) with FW400 and 800 as well as USB so I think I'm ok on that front too.

Thanks for the Core 2 Duo warning but I intend on buying the hardware new so I'd have to be spectacularly unlucky to get a CoreDuo chip!

I'm a little concerned about Snow Leopard and Logic compatibility and in addition to that, the potential for finding my hardware underpowered if I did decide to upgrade to the latest version. I've read a post from someone saying that comparable performance with the latest version of Logic and Logic 8 requires a Mac Pro and I definitely don't have the budget to think about doing that. This of course could be wildly inaccurate but I think it's best to make a few enquiries.

I'll likely be getting one of the lower specced (cheaper) models of Mac if I do make a purchase but would hate to feel like it was out of date as soon as I got it home.

Hello, back again.

Macrumours is reporting that a new iMac is on the way so I'm holding on for that. Are there normally teething problems with macs or scandals about early runs? I ask because it's likely that I'll get a machine as soon as it's released.

Hi,
Can you please tell me how can I installed the MAC OS?

Installing Mac OS is very straightforward. It sounds like you are having some particular difficulties - can you let us know what they are? Also, please mention the system you are trying to set Mac OS up on, and the version of Mac OS you are trying to install.

Remember that OS 10.6 Snow Leopard is for Intel Macs only. If you have a PPC Mac, use the install discs that came with the computer, they will be 10.5 or earlier.

kind regards

Mark

Back