Logic Pro X Have to tick "Reset All MIDI Drivers" button after playback . . .

newsoundprod

Logician
Whenever I record a MIDI track using an external MIDI module as the sound source and then play it back, it plays back fine but after that, I can no longer input ANY MIDI from my MIDI keyboard to any external MIDI mod. Only after I tick "Reset All MIDI Drivers" do things go back to normal.
If I play the track without any notes sounding (a blank place in the track) I can still play notes after. It's only when a note is played back using the transport control. This does not happen with a software instrument - only external MIDI device.
This makes Logic X unusable unless I only use software instruments. I love the sound of my Roland MIDI modules! Please help.

My rig:
MAC PRO circa 2012 running High Sierra
Logic version 10.4.8 (App Store won't let me install 4.5)
MIDI through USB using Avid Digi 003 as MIDI out to modules
Roland JV 1080, Roland R8M, Alesis D4
Nektar LX88 MIDI controller

fuzzfilth

Logician
The Digi 003 looks highly suspicious. The Nektar has a 5pin MIDI Out, I wonder if that's accessible as a MIDI destination from within Logic ? If yes, create a new, empty Project and record a MIDI track going to that output, see if that helps. If not, buy or borrow another MIDI interface and try that.

Upvote 0

newsoundprod

Logician
Thanks fuzz...
I did try the MIDI OUT of the Nektar to MIDI IN of the 003. Same thing happened.
I'm going to try another interface - a friend is loaning me one next week.

I'm wondering though . . . could it be a conflict between the Apple IAC Driver and the Logic MIDI Environment? I seems possible the two could get in each other's way - so to speak.
Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

newsoundprod

Logician
The Digi 003 looks highly suspicious. The Nektar has a 5pin MIDI Out, I wonder if that's accessible as a MIDI destination from within Logic ? If yes, create a new, empty Project and record a MIDI track going to that output, see if that helps. If not, buy or borrow another MIDI interface and try that.

Thanks fuzz...
I did try the MIDI OUT of the Nektar to MIDI IN of the 003. Same thing happened.
I'm going to try another interface - a friend is loaning me one next week.

I'm wondering though . . . could it be a conflict between the Apple IAC Driver and the Logic MIDI Environment? I seems possible the two could get in each other's way - so to speak.
Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

fuzzfilth

Logician
IAC can be tricky, because the selected track by default listens to it. If that track happens to go to IAC you have a MIDI feedback loop which might either freeze or crash Logic.

You can avoid this by patching the IAC outlet of the Environment's Physical-In object to a dead end so it doesn 't reach the selected track.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CSeye

Logician
At a glance, my impression based information presented in this thread, is to not use the 003 for any MIDI connections during the problem solving process. If playback is normal as result, then continue to avoid using the 003 for MIDI connections.

Use the Nektar's USB to connect to your Mac. Use a MIDI interface connected to your Mac via USB for your sound modules.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

newsoundprod

Logician
At a glance, my impression based information presented in this thread, is to not use the 003 for any MIDI connections during the problem solving process. If playback is normal as result, then continue to avoid using the 003 for MIDI connections.

Use the Nektar's USB to connect to your Mac. Use a MIDI interface connected to your Mac via USB for your sound modules.
Thanks the reply CSeye.
Turns out you and fuzzfilth are both right,
I tried another generic MIDI interface and the problem went away. So yes, the 003 is not good for MIDI.
Thanks much!

Upvote 0