Logic Pro 9 Help. Naming of tracks and regions / names in score

beljon

Logician
Hello,

I am having trouble with the names of tracks / regions and especially of my systems in the score window of Logic 9.

Here is what i do:
In the arrange I choose 'configure track header' (control click on a track).
I choose 'allow two lines' and 'track name'
Now I can click on the track and give it the name I want for instance soprano sax.
In the score the track names are not followed but get names like Prg 90 or Prg 28=45.
I understand that these are general midi program numbers.
When I double click on a track in the score a list appears with all general midi program numbers. The only way to give my score system the name of the track is to rename it in the list.
I don't think I am doing this right, but I don't know how to do it in another way. I don't use general midi at all, and I don't want to.

The naming of tracks, instruments, channel strip settings etc. is very confusing anyway. It suggests flexibility, but I think this was a lot more simple in older versions of Logic!

I hope someone can shed some light on what I do wrong.

Thanks,

Gerard

Edit: Help. Naming of tracks and regions / names in score

sorry, I mistyped in my message:

When I double click on a track in the score a list appears with all general midi program numbers.

must be

When I double click on a track in the arrange a list appears with all general midi program numbers.

Upvote 0
Create a Score Set and within the Score Set you can give them the long and short names you lie. Then save it as a template or import the Score Sets into other projects.

Upvote 0
Hello Jay,

Thank you for your answer.
I know about score sets, and I created these already.
I wonder why in the score set there is a new second part of the instrument name which is called prg 11 or stringed bass or something like that.
That is new to me.
Also: when I record a new region, despite the fact that the track is called altosaxophone or something similar, the name of the newly created system in the score is given this stupid general midi title.
This is something new in Logic 9. And I cannot put general midi off or something, this name is omnipresent when recording!
I understand that it is possible to conceal it by giving the system a name I want. But wouldn't it be more logical to give it the track name in the first place?

Greetings,
Gerard

Upvote 0
Seems that way to me. You actually never need to use these tracks. If you need to work with external modules, you can address external MIDI via a Software Instrument track, using the External MIDI input selection.

Upvote 0
As an alternative, if you're not afraid to dip your toes in Environment waters, you can go in and delete the GM multi instruments that are automatically generated (that's what's giving you the initialized patch number readout) and just manually create regular "instruments" from the new menu.

These are designed to work on a single channel of a single port. It won't generate any patch name or number info if you don't check the program change box in the Inspector. If you're only working with a handful of external MIDI channels, this could be an elegant "old skool" solution. If however you are using many ports of 16 channels, it's a bit of work to set up. Doug's suggestion of using the External Instrument plug-in is definitely the "modern" way to handle it.

Upvote 0
Wow, I haven't created a single instrument in years - I'm getting teary eyed at the thought....:)

:D :D :D

I actually have used them more recently then that. I had one client who until a year or two ago had a large Giga studio setup on a PC that she was using as a sampler controlled by Logic. I found regular instruments a relatively elegant way to set up simple communication between the two MIDI interfaces.... No distracting patch names to deal with.

Upvote 0
I actually always preferred them - partly because I tended to use a variety of outboard synths for a session, rarely more than two or three sounds per synth.

Upvote 0
Back