Logic Pro (X) Help please...

Radley

Logician
Please tell me - how I can simply record my live stereo mix in LPX - I have read so much, but the answer is still not to be found. Any help would be much appreciated!

I have a dear cousin who's very near the end (terminal cancer), and I am trying to get her a mix of a special song I wrote for her before she passes...

Upvote 0
Please tell me - how I can simply record my live stereo mix in LPX

Your question isn't particularly clear. Where is your "live stereo mix" coming from? Is it coming from a mixing board? Or as Uwe asked, is it something that exists within a Logic project already? If so, as he suggested, just use the Bounce button on the stereo output.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys - My question isn't clear because I have never done any serious mixing in Logic :( The fact is, I don't know how to use automation & since the song needs to be actively mixed & faded, it had to be done in real time for me. Solution: I recorded my live LPX out put to my Boss MC-3 stereo looper pedal, and then converted it to mp3 in iTunes - it actually sounds nice and it was done in time for my sweet cousin to hear... Please understand that I come from the old school where we always mixed down to a 2-track tape - bouncing and automation are such different concepts, but I will learn them!

BTW: Eli - I am enjoying all of your Logic instructional videos.... very well done my friend!

Upvote 0
Please tell me - how I can simply record my live stereo mix in LPX

Your question isn't particularly clear. Where is your "live stereo mix" coming from? Is it coming from a mixing board? Or as Uwe asked, is it something that exists within a Logic project already? If so, as he suggested, just use the Bounce button on the stereo output.

Eli - I was simply wanting to record what I was hearing from my headphones to a stereo track in Logic to be bounced to a stereo mp3 for sharing online. It's funny, but nothing in the Logic manual really spells what a final mix entails (for me as of yet). What are we mixing TO, after all, and how is bouncing different that mixing to stereo? Where does a 'final mix' reside?

Upvote 0
Nowadays, mixdown are made to a file on computers. MP3 is one format of those kind of files. Bouncing is the term used to name the production of these files. Do a quick search in the manual about bouncing and/or MP3 and it will be clearly explained. A really simplified process compared to those days where you had to mix down to a tape...
If you are thight on schedule, stick to the essential...

Upvote 0
Eli - I was simply wanting to record what I was hearing from my headphones to a stereo track in Logic to be bounced to a stereo mp3 for sharing online. It's funny, but nothing in the Logic manual really spells what a final mix entails (for me as of yet). What are we mixing TO, after all, and how is bouncing different that mixing to stereo? Where does a 'final mix' reside?

Hi Radley,

Glad you are enjoying the videos. In terms of what are we mixing "TO", the answer is, you are mixing down to a stereo file. That stereo file can be in amy format; mp3, wav, aiff, etc. With modern DAWs though, there's no need to actually re-record the entire mix down to a stereo file before doing this.

The process of "bouncing" renders all the audio flowing through Logic's audio stream to a pair of it's outputs down to that one stereo file. In the Bounce To Disc dialog box you specify the following:

What start and end point to bounce down.
What to name the newly bounced down file.
Where to place the newly create file on your hard drive.
What format to bounce down to (multiple formats are possible).
What bit depth and sample rate the resulting file will be.
If dithering is to be used, and if so, which algorithm to use.
If normalization should be used.
If the newly created file is to be added into your Logic Project.
If the newly created file is to be added to iTunes.

So, really the bounce to disc function is what you are looking for.That is the process of creating a stereo mix from the project. It is also possible to re-record everything to a new audio track. But it's not really necessary for what you are trying to achieve.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys - Does a 'realtime bounce' allow for active mixing without automation? If so, this is where I lacked understanding (confusing realtime with offline bouncing). If this is the case, it really would be the same as 'hands on' mixing with the result being called a bounce instead of a 2-track master, correct?

Upvote 0
Right. Automation. Or, you could re-record the whole mix to a new track in real time, as you originally wanted to. To do this, here are the steps:

1. Route the output of your entire mix to a new unused stereo Bus.

2. Create a new unused stereo Aux Track.

3. Set the input to this new Aux track to match the output Bus used in step number 1.

4. Set the output of the new stereo Aux track to None, so as not to double monitor the mix.

5. Record the mix onto the new Audio Track.

Upvote 0
Back