Logic Pro 9 help routing multiple outputs in the EXS24 sampler [logic pro 9]

Create a multiple output instance of it. And then hit the plus button on the channel strip in the track mixer. This will generate the additional aux tracks where the samples assigned to the discreet outputs will appear.

Then open the EXS 24 editor and assign the specific samples to the specific outputs as needed. Don't forget to save your instrument when you are done.

Upvote 0
i know how to route with the aux tracks...my problem is the zones and groups of the EXS24...sometimes i would send the output of the individual zones to an aux output and still i dont hear any sound...it's very confusing...should i route the zones or groups to the aux outputs???

Upvote 0
That depends on how you .exs sound is set up. It's easiest if it's grouped because then it's enough to just change the output of the group. If it's not you have to route the zones you need instead. This can be more complicated due to velocity layers meaning that you have to remember all the layers or the sound will fall out in certain velocities

Upvote 0
That depends on how you .exs sound is set up. It's easiest if it's grouped because then it's enough to just change the output of the group. If it's not you have to route the zones you need instead. This can be more complicated due to velocity layers meaning that you have to remember all the layers or the sound will fall out in certain velocities

Exactly.
For properly programmed instruments (read: fine use of groups) it shouldn't be that much of a hassle, but once it comes to those that don't use groups for output purposes, assigning zones to individual outs might become quite a pain.
Unfortunately, the EXS doesn't offer some of the clever features, say, Kontakt does, so groups often need to be used for "special" triggerings (such as "round robin"), and as a result, there's nothing left for output groupings, hence these need to be done on a zone level.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
Most times when you need multiouts it's when you use the EXS for drums, is that what you need it for.

In that case it's possible to see which zones are connected to a certain key which should help a lot when re-routing them. I haven't done this in a while but I seem to remember that you can't rubberband in the EXS editor which would be nice in such a case........but then again maybe I remember incorrectly and you can

Upvote 0
thanks a lot for the help everyone...but i have had experiences of trying to route individual zones to an aux output but i still hear no sound coming thru the aux track...anyone know why this may be happening...

Upvote 0
Can you briefly describe your EXS 24 instrument? Drum kit? Layered instruments?

Multi-output EXS 24 instantiated?

Are the zones grouped in the editor? Kick group, snare group, etc.

Is each group assigned to it's own output in the Group view in the editor?

After hitting the + sign on the ESX 24 channel strip in the mixer to create the aux channels for outputs, are the aux inputs consistent with the editor Group output assigments? (They should be as this is handled automatically by Logic).

Best.

Upvote 0
well its a multi-output exs 24 instrument, some of the zones are grouped in the editor, i.e kick group, snare group, but some other instruments that i used in my drum sequence aren't grouped, they're on zones that are under "ungrouped zones". when i try creating my own group, and assigning the output, i still dont get any sound out from the assigned aux output. i don't kno exactly wat i may be doing wrong, hope the added info is enough for some more help. thanx in advance.

Upvote 0
...sorted out the problem...some of the zones weren't routed to the groups...and as such weren't playing back...figured out how to route to aux tracks...it was a lot but well worth it...thanx for all the help people...

Upvote 0
...sorted out the problem...some of the zones weren't routed to the groups...and as such weren't playing back...figured out how to route to aux tracks...it was a lot but well worth it...thanx for all the help people...

Good to hear that you figured it out. :thmbup:

Every challenge like this leads to a better understanding of how Logic works.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Back