Logic Pro 9 Help; So Frustrated!

Legacy

Logician
Hi all,

Hope you can help; this is really frustrating:

I've been working on this track for a very long time; all instruments are generated in-the-box using plugins of all shapes and sizes. Inevitably, I ran out of memory (even with freezing tracks), and started to bounce everything to audio. All the music is bounced down to one stereo track, which leaves a lot of individual vocal tracks that I wanted to put into Melodyne for final tweaking.

Now remember, I bounced everything to individual audio tracks to free up memory for Melodyne, and effects during mix down. Problem is, now when I open Melodyne or Space Designer, though the plugin appears in the channel strip, I can't get the interface to appear. (The behavior that I usually see when out of memory.) I uninstanciated all plugins and deleted their tracks. At this point, nothing is hidden or frozen.

My 2012 MacBook Pro has 8 gigs of ram, and at least 250 gigs of disc space available. I tried shutting down to free up ram, and switched Logic into 64bit mode for the very first time. Other than Nexus2 not validating, Logic started up fine, But I still can't get any plugin interfaces to open. What am I missing? If all that remains is audio without any plugins, why am I having this problem??

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

You might have corrupted the project... Can you open it in a backup version?

My thoughts are" how the F did you run out of memory with 8GB, unless you were in 32 bit mode. I see and work with people with hundreds of tracks, using almost 8GB in their template, but that is extreme use.

If you can zip it, and send to to me somehow, I can try and open it on my system (24 GB) and see if it can be recovered enough to be used again. It's easy enough to open a song even if I don't have the same stuff you do, save it, and then you open it and have it work again...

Anyways, that's the best I can offer.

Upvote 0
George,

I started in 32bit mode and only tried 64bit after I ran into this issue; but perhaps the file was already corrupted at this point. When I get home, I'll send you the file. Many thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi Legacy, has the actual logic project file rapidly increased in size over recent saves (have a look in project backups folder for previous versions) this can often be a sign of a troubled logic file! If this is the case, File... Import Is your friend, you should be able to import only the stuff you're currently using and free up unused resources

Upvote 0
mt100uk,

Is there an easy way to do that, seeing as I have audio regions all over the timeline? Would I have to realign each region manually, or is there a better way to do this?

Upvote 0
As already mentioned, File Import is your friend.

It will bring in all audio and MIDI regions (selected in the Import panel that appears when you navigate to the file, then click on the Import button) and place them in their original locations. Presto!

Upvote 0
Open a new track, go to file import and select the original project. After this a list appears on the right side of the screen (where markers/list/audio bin is normally displayed) it allows you to select which bits to import by track, giving you an option (as tick boxes) for content (ie midi/audio) plugins and routing. This gives you the ability to just grab the bits which are currently being used. Have a play around with it to get a good idea of the options. It should put imported content at the same position on the time line as in the original track.

Upvote 0
Ok, Importing the file has done the trick. I'm now able to open additional plugins with no issue. Many thanks to one and all for your assistance!

Has no one else run into this before? Just curious...

Upvote 0
Sometimes, Logic project files get corrupt. You've just successfully worked through an essential recovery procedure in case that happens. ;)

Upvote 0
Back