Logic Pro X Help with fan noise

AMS

Logician
I bought an i9, 32GB MacBook Pro 16 and ended up sending it back for an exchange because the fans ran very often, especially with Logic open (only 6 tracks). I’m hopeful that it was a hardware problem and that the replacement will work great. However, I have since read that fan noise can be an issue with faster processors and now wonder if an iMac or Mac mini would be the quietest option for running Logic in a small home studio. I’d appreciate any advice on getting the quietest device. The fans on my 2013 i5 dual core almost never came on...

Thanks and happy thanksgivin!

facej

Logician
Laptops have that downside - fans come on to keep the heat down...
If you have the room to use it check out the 27" iMac - 8-core i9 with 32GB brand-x memory (makes it 40GB) for the same price as the laptop.

I got the iMac in August and have only had the fans come up to loud during software builds and artificial tests of Logic. Very quiet.

The quietest Mac is the iMac Pro, but at $4200+ it's expensive. The 5K iMac actually beats the Pro in benchmarks.

plenty of connectivity. Gorgeous screen with a ton of room.

AMS

Logician
Thanks for the response. I’m considering the iMac but don’t know much about them. However, based on the pics they seem pretty thin as well. Are they that much thicker than the laptops to allow for more air flow and much quieter fans?

AMS

Logician
Thanks. It seems, however, there are a number of fan noise complaints regarding the new iMac as well. In any event, perhaps the most powerful Mac mini, placed further away, would be the quietest option?

facej

Logician
Mac mini's are a bit better than laptops, but still can get noisy kind of fast.
I haven't seen any serious complaints about iMac fan noise, but I haven't gone looking. I can just try it for myself at my desk.

If you need as quiet as possible? iMac Pro, or put the Mac in a closet and use a second display.