Logic Pro X Help with Logic Pro X

Richard Ufheil

I am trying to switch to Logic X from using DP since MOTU was born. Yes, I'm ancient. I probably have grandchildren older than some of the members of this group. I am trying to convert to Logic since it seems better able to handle articulation switching combined with ARTzID in a more suitable manner for my needs. Also, I believe LogicX will be much easier to employ a modular template so that I don't have a massive template running all the time. With track limitations of Logic I could not get everything up anyway. So that's the history and now my first problem.

I have two HW synths a KRZ K2500R and Oberheim Matrix 1000 which I want to access thru external MIDI. These two synths are MIDI only. I also have an iContols USB controller which shows up in the Audio/MIDI setup in Mac High Sierra. When I initiate an external MIDI track the iControls is loaded by default. I can change it if I use the pulldown menu. The iController is listed at the top of the list as Port 1. If I go to Audio/MIDI setup it does not allow me to change or remove Ports or anything. So I'm assuming that if iControls could be put at the bottom of the menu list then the next inline the K2500R would be the default, which in most cases would be fine. I do have a Mackie Controller which appears under Control surface setup and I'm trying (another problem) to use for mixing. The iControls is used only for CC control of VI's. I'm going to temporarily remove the iControls from the system and see what happens. Is there a file somewhere (Preferences) that list these devices or does Logic just read the Audio/MIDI setup that is loaded when it is booted?

So if anyone out there has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
Richard

facej

Logician
I assume that your synths are connected via MIDI cable to the iControls.
Typically you would create an Audio/MIDI setup by opening the application and bringing the MIDI studio window up.

At the top of the window click the "+" button to add a new device. Double click the new device to name it. Drag a line from the MIDI out of the new device to the iControls. Add a line in the other direction as well.

Repeat for the second device.

At this point you should be able to select the devices as external MIDI devices.

Which model iControls?
What is the "Mackie Controller" that you have?

Audio/MIDI setup is independent of Logic. You shouldn't have to remove any preferences for that. You could always create a new "MIDI Studio". It's not hard.

Richard Ufheil

I assume that your synths are connected via MIDI cable to the iControls.
Typically you would create an Audio/MIDI setup by opening the application and bringing the MIDI studio window up.

At the top of the window click the "+" button to add a new device. Double click the new device to name it. Drag a line from the MIDI out of the new device to the iControls. Add a line in the other direction as well.

Repeat for the second device.

At this point you should be able to select the devices as external MIDI devices.

Which model iControls?
What is the "Mackie Controller" that you have?

Audio/MIDI setup is independent of Logic. You shouldn't have to remove any preferences for that. You could always create a new "MIDI Studio". It's not hard.
iControls is a control surface not a MIDI interface. The Mackie is a Mackie Control eight channel master controller. It has a version 2.0 chip and is running 2.1.2 firmware. So it should by all means run Logic as long as it is booted to run in Logic control mode. My MIDI interface is MOTU Midi Express XT it and all its ports are functioning perfectly in Audio/MIDI setup and LogicPro. I was able to solve the listing problem by disconnecting the iControls USB interface and removing it from the Audio/MIDI setup. I trashed the preferences file for Logic control and used rebuild defaults. I restarted Logic and iControls was indeed gone.
Next, I reconnected iControls USB and confirmed that Audio/MIDI setup picked it up. I then opened Logic Pro and there it was, now at the bottom of the list of MIDI devices with a pale line separating it from everything that is ported to the Midi ExpressXT. So that problem appears to have been solved. Also this apparently solved the problems I had with the Makie Control behaving weirdly. I had "jibberish" on the LCD and Midi notes being triggered thru the function keys. I think there must have been some sort of Midi loop being created by the positioning of the iControls screwing up the data the Mackie was receiving.

I'm not sure yet as to whether or not I will have to add the iConrols to my Controller surface setup in order to get it to send CC's. It seems odd that I would have to initiate as an external MIDI device. Also under preferences for Logic on MIDI inputs there are several duplicates of the iControls listed but they are greyed out not sure what that means. If you have any ideas on that matter I'd love to know. What online manual would you recommend for a resource that really explains Logic Pro beyond just scratching the surface. Thanks for responding,

facej

Logician
OK - the multiple, recurring controller in Logic can be "fixed". In Logic Pro X Preferences under "Control Surfaces" look in the "MIDI Controllers" tab. Uncheck any/all devices under "Auto". This will stop the multiple instances of iControls showing up.

In the "Controller Assignments" window (part of the control surface settings) find all of the possibly duplicate iControls entries, probably in "No Zone" and highlight and delete all of the multiples.

Eventually you will want to manually add the iControls to Logic and arrange as desired with your Mackie Control.

I use a Behringer X-Touch - a wonderful Mackie Control clone. I also plug in a KORG nanoKontrol and nanoKey and wound up with dozens of entries in the assignments window. The automatic adding of the KORGs was basically in error...no need for the automatic add...

The iControls should be able to send CCs even if it is not assigned in control surface spots...

Richard Ufheil

Thanks, but those windows/locations are either empty or correct. My problem is in the inputs window. I'll attach 2 screenshots that show multiple greyed out duplicate entries. Maybe there is a .plst file somewhere that needs to be trashed so Logic will reread the inputs. I have no idea where Logic is compiling this list since it is a mix of HW and plugins. If you have any ideas i'd appreciate it. Thanks for the help!

facej

Logician
My input list has a bunch of old stuff as well. I do note that in the "Port" menu for an external MIDI track only the non-greyed out devices appear in the list. If that's the case you should, in theory, be able to select your K2500R or Matrix-1000 as the port for your track...

Richard Ufheil

My input list has a bunch of old stuff as well. I do note that in the "Port" menu for an external MIDI track only the non-greyed out devices appear in the list. If that's the case you should, in theory, be able to select your K2500R or Matrix-1000 as the port for your track...
I was able to clear up the ghosted inputs list. Go to Library /com.apple.logic10.plist and trash it. Restart and only valid inputs are listed. If I wasn't so obsessive compulsive this crap wouldn't bother me. Thanks for your help and taking the time to respond,