Hiss Problems

BrianG61

Hello,

I'm new to guitar playing, and fairly new to Logic Pro when it comes to connecting a guitar, so please forgive my ignorance. I have a Yamaha SLG200S and I connect it to Logic Pro X via a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. I notice I get a tremendous amount of hiss. I've mucked around with all sorts of filters and settings in LPX, but nothing gets rid of the hiss without also effecting the tone. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks so much.
Brian

At the Scarlett, do you use the instrument input on the front side?
How much did you turn up the gain for this input?
Have you tried the guitar without any simulation, just the piezo pickups, is there also hiss?
Can you connect a condensor microphone to check if there is also hiss?

At the Scarlett, do you use the instrument input on the front side?
How much did you turn up the gain for this input?
Have you tried the guitar without any simulation, just the piezo pickups, is there also hiss?
Can you connect a condensor microphone to check if there is also hiss?

Peter, thank you for responding. I use one of the inputs on the front. The gain is pretty much set to 12noon. I don't have a condenser mic or an external amp....yet. After I posted my question I tried creating a new instrument track, but this time deselecting "Load Default Patch". That seems to have gotten rid of the hiss. I then added, for yuks, Noise Gate, Channel EQ, Space Designer, SilverVerb, Tape Delay, and DeEsser. They re-introduce a barely perceptible hiss in both my headset and external speakers. If I add any of the Amp emulators or Pedals, the hiss is quite pronounced which, of course, varies depending on the emulator. So I guess my next question is how to eliminate the hiss when I want to use Amp Designer or Pedalboard.

So I guess my next question is how to eliminate the hiss when I want to use Amp Designer or Pedalboard.
You can try to reduce gain, presence and/or treble of the amp a little. Basically, the hiss is built-in to simulate the hiss of a real amp. If you find this ridiculous – welcome in the club.

While you play loud, such a hiss can sound quite natural, or better, familiar. But if you really can't live with it, you may get another amp simulation sooner or later.

You can try to reduce gain, presence and/or treble of the amp a little. Basically, the hiss is built-in to simulate the hiss of a real amp. If you find this ridiculous – welcome in the club.

While you play loud, such a hiss can sound quite natural, or better, familiar. But if you really can't live with it, you may get another amp simulation sooner or later.

So some hiss is to be expected? I would never have thought that. I work in video production, and hiss in the audio track is deal breaker. I'll give your suggestions a go. Thanks so much for your help.

So some hiss is to be expected?
Yes. But don't listen to the hiss alone. In the musical context, these simulations are thought for, the hiss is usually no problem. First, we are used to a noteworthy amount of hiss from guitar amps. Second, it gets masked by the sheer loudness of other sounds. Of course it depends on the genre. No metal guitarist complains about hiss, while very few jazz guitarists accept it.

Hey Guys, I have similar issue. It "just started" out of nowhere. Even with nothing connected, no external USB sound card, using my MacBook Pro internal sound card and headphones, volume low, gains low, no amp sim plugins, all plugins on master output bus off, there is hiss. Even if running off battery only, any location in my flat. Same story with sound card and di box and balanced cables etc... I know hiss is to be expected, but this is crazy. No amount of changes to buffer size or other settings make a difference. MacBook Pro, late 2011, quad core i7, 16gb ram. It's not my guitar or pedal, tested outside Logic Pro x and MacBook with gains turned up crazy high or low and it's perfectly clean. Lots of harddrive space available, using sierra(latest update).... please help!

Has anyone figured out the solution to the loud hissing guitar amps? I bought a new pre am thinking that might be the issue but the hissing continues. Changed cords and guitars so this must be a computer issue. This can't be right. Thanks!

Back