Logic Pro X How can I make a split patch in the EXS24??

Forever

Logician
How can I make a split patch in the EXS24(ie: Left Hand Bass or so, & Right Hand chordal patch, per se? THANKS.

fuzzfilth

Logician
Several ways to do it. One is:
- Set up two tracks with the EXSs (or any other instruments)
- In the Track Inspector (below the Region Inspector) set the desired key ranges for both
- Select both tracks and right-click the Track Header>Create Track Stack>Summing Stack
- Select the Track Stack
- Play

Last edited:

CSeye

Logician
How can I make a split patch in the EXS24?
You can make a key range split in the EXS24 editor.
As shown, one sample zone each: Yellow arrow - bass, green - piano. Key and Key Ranges are adjusted as needed.

Most likely, you'll be using several samples of each instrument. In that case, Group the samples into separate Bass and Piano groups, adjusting the key range at the group level.

Something like that.

Attachments

fuzzfilth

Logician
Yes, that is possible, but I chose to not suggest this for one reason: You will essentially combine two EXS instruments into one.

So the Filter that sounds good on the pennywhistle now kills the drum kit.

Also, the Envelopes that make the drums pop aren't exactly helping the trombone either.

And you wanted reverb on the piano but not on the bass ? Well, you can but that's going to take you an extra Aux and some not exactly intuitive Group routing in EXS.

Oh, and several hours into this, you find that you actually like the PianoTeq Upright better than the EXS piano ? Tough luck.

So, I consider using a Summing stack as the most versatile yet simple solution to this.

Last edited:

Forever

Logician
My end use for making the split patch besides making a User Patch in the EXS24 is also to be able to give my custom patches to a few other Logic user friends who like my patch making.

Forever

Logician
Also, can I somehow on the split patch make use of another synth, like maybe Loom to be mixed in with the EXS24 patch instruments adding Loom's sound, & still making it a User Patch living in the EXS24, etc...

CSeye

Logician
Yes, that is possible, but I chose to not suggest this for one reason: You will essentially combine two EXS instruments into one.

So the Filter that sounds good on the pennywhistle now kills the drum kit.

Also, the Envelopes that make the drums pop aren't exactly helping the trombone either.

And you wanted reverb on the piano but not on the bass ? Well, you can but that's going to take you an extra Aux and some not exactly intuitive Group routing in EXS.

Oh, and several hours into this, you find that you actually like the PianoTeq Upright better than the EXS piano ? Tough luck.

So, I consider using a Summing stack as the most versatile yet simple solution to this.
All good points. i hadn't considered the filter settings.
And I agree that a Summing stack is the easiest and more versatile solution.

Forever

Logician
Gentlemen: THANK YOU SO MUCH for your smarts, but I have an engineering dumb question to ask you both: By having 2 EXS24s, one for LH Bass synth, & 2nd EXS24 for RH synth chordal part, doesn't that separate the EFX, Filtering, Reverb, etc... so that each of the 2 parts, LH & RH get their full programmed EFX sound?? Both parts I will reshape their basic sound thru EFX plugins..

CSeye

Logician
The attachment is a visual of what fuzzfilth describes in the first response to your question.

You can have audio insert and send effects on each instrument track (EXS24 or other), and also on the summing track stack.
The entire setup can be saved as a patch which you can share with other Logic Pro X users if using factory instruments and effects.

Attachments