Logic Pro X How can I slave Logic to Alesis ADAT LX-20?

afavreau

Logician
Hi,

I would like to transfer to Logic some old recordings coming from two VHS tapes (16 tracks) that were originally synced and recorded on the Alesis ADAT blackface a long time ago. However, I only have one ADAT recorder now (LX20) and I'd like to correctly transfer these 16 tracks to Logic. I can see that the two VHS tapes still show the same Time code for the same songs at the same time. The 2 tapes are still in synced.

To do so, I will be using the Optical out (8 tracks) of the ADAT going to my sound card for the audio, but I would like for my second pass with the second VHS tape (track 9-16) to be in perfect sync in Logic.

So I'm wondering, how I can Slave Logic to the ADAT tapes? How am I suppose to hook this up to my sound card and what settings am I suppose to do in Logic? Also, since the tapes were originally recoded in 16Bit/48Khz, does that mean Logic should also record in 16Bit/48Khz?

Here attached are the back of the Alesis LX20 and my FireFace 800 to more easily show me how to hook them up.

Thanks for your help

Andre

Attachments

afavreau

Logician
From what I can see, there's a 9 Pin Sync Connector on the back of the ADAT recorder. How can I connect this to my sound card which doesn't have that connector? It only has Word Clock etc.

Pete Thomas

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I'll jump in but this could be a bit of a guess as it's years since I used ADATs

But if my memory serves me, we used to slave them together via those outputs using a controller (the (BRC) which you don't have.

However I also remember using one ADAT with a tape machine, and in this case we striped track 16 of the ADAT with SMPTE (as you used to do when synching two analogue tape machines)

If the ADAT tapes you have do have SMPTE timecode recorded to one of the tracks, then I think your LTC input on the RME might be what you want for that, but I think it would need to convert that to MTC (MIDI time code) that would sync Logic.

Again, I'm just guessing, but I think this is possible with the RME, but you'd need to check the manual.

But I would also look into how crucial exact phase locked synchronisation is. If you have a multimic'd drum kit across both tapes, then yes, it's crucial, but if not my fist instinct would be to just record both into Logic and see how it sounds. There's a reasonable chance they might be close enough - ideally you'd want to check this so hopefully there is a click track or count in on each.

Failing that, I would hire a BRC, or search for a retro studio that has two ADATs and a BRC and have a reasonable rate for one hour of transfer time. (Could be done remotely, i.e. you courier them the ADATs)

Pete Thomas

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding 48/16

I would set the Logic project to 48/24, that way any new tracks you overdub will be 24 bit. It doesn't matter that the files you import from ADAT will still be 16bit. If you are only ever going to mix to 44.1 then you could convert them to 44.1 and work at 44.1/24, but I'd be tempted to keep at 48/24.

Of course if you think your final mixes may need to be 96/24, I would convert to that at this stage. But only if I was going to be doing more recording on the projects.

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
Of course if you think your final mixes may need to be 96/24, I would convert to that at this stage. But only if I was going to be doing more recording on the projects.
Short offtopic question:
For which sources do you find 96 kHz better?

Pete Thomas

Administrator
Staff member
Short offtopic question:
For which sources do you find 96 kHz better?
Clients who ask for it.

Keep them happy, even if I've upsampled 44.1

(I don't tell them it has been upsampled from 44.1 so they think they are getting better quality)